what do you like and dislike about runner ducks?

KenjiQuacker

Songster
Jan 24, 2021
Issaquah Washington
Hello!
I'm getting runner duck hatching eggs soon (I've been doing research for years now, ever since I hatched, raised, and released a wild mallard). I already have a coop and run design too. I'm super excited, but first I just wanted to know more information on runner ducks. I know most of the normal facts about them, eggs per year, weight, etc. So I guess I'm just looking for opinions about them now. :)
Thanks!

Things that a like about Indian Runners:
1. I like their upright position.
2. They are really good egg layers.
3. They are full of personalities.
4. They are very friendly.
5. There are a lot of different colors like: Fawn & White, White, Penciled, Black, Buff, Chocolate, Cumberland, and Gray. There are also many nonstandard color varieties.

The things I don't like about Indian Runners:

There's none. (In my opinion)

Aside from the whole ducks-are-messy-and-poop-everywhere reality of all ducks, there is nothing I dislike about runners.

Of the 10 I now have, all were raised by me from the time they were a day or two old. NONE of them wants to be held, but nearly all are pretty friendly and all will come running -- with that unique runner gait -- if they think there's even a chance of feed or a treat.

One of my original ducks, Quinn, is the funniest. When she gets excited about food, she literally stands in one place and jumps up and down. It cracks me up every time.

Things that a like about Indian Runners:
1. I like their upright position.
2. They are really good egg layers.
3. They are full of personalities.
4. They are very friendly.
5. There are a lot of different colors like: Fawn & White, White, Penciled, Black, Buff, Chocolate, Cumberland, and Gray. There are also many nonstandard color varieties.

The things I don't like about Indian Runners:

There's none. (In my opinion)
Thanks for responding! I've always wondered whether runners were very friendly or not, so thanks!
I really like they're upright standing too, I find it adorable. I like to call them giraffe penguin ducks :3

Here is a picture of my runner running to me:
1614460138861.png

Last edited:
Runners are very wary of anything that they have never seen before. Doesn't matter how many times you've given them a head of purple cabbage, give them a head of green cabbage and they act like the primates in 2001 when the Monolith appeared.

Mine come running providing that they are hungry, which is most of the time!

They are loud, which I am fine with.
20210128_163611.jpg

I know right! they're so funny looking
(edit) what are muscovies like?
Muscovies are super friendly, some of the friendliest ducks in my opinion, and they are very quiet they don't quack at all like other ducks do. They don't lay very many eggs but they lay an okay amount, and they are very broody so they try to sit on their eggs and hatch them. Mine are just the friendliest and snuggliest ducks in the world!! Also they're really good at foraging for bugs and weeds and such.

Back
Top Bottom