What do you like to do with your eggs?

We have 4 people and 5 laying birds so we eat all ours. We love quiche and breakfast burritos and any "scramble" that uses garden goodies (peppers, greens, onions, tomatoes). And now that someone mentioned egg nog I know what I'm doing with the 3 yolks in my fridge that were left over from making royal icing for frosted gingerbread cookies. :drool

Like the others, I do a variety of things with my eggs.

First, we eat them. Members in my family have gluten allergies but can eat eggs. Eggs make good leavening for gluten free baked goods. We eat them scrambled, basted, fried, boiled, in quiche, in breads and waffles (it takes a lot for gluten free to raise).

My best and prettiest I sell or give away as gifts. I breed for egg color (olive, blues, greens, dark browns, tans, pinks, you name it).

I also periodically hatch for the next generation, and I sell fertile eggs periodically (the olive eggers are popular).

I had at one point some egg contracts for eating eggs, but it stopped being fun when it felt more like work, so I don't do that any more. I cut the flock size back and now keep just enough for my purposes above.

LofMc

I have just begun to get eggs from my girls. I give them to friends and family. If you have bakers in the family they will love fresh eggs. My niece and I did an experiment with our first eggs vs store bought eggs (great science project). I love hard boiled eggs (so do my dogs). If you have pot lucks to attend deviled eggs are usually a hit. I'm sure the food banks or your church or a church would know people in need that would appreciate them. I hope this helps, there is nothing like fresh eggs, so creamy and rich, yum!
What was the difference in the baking with the 2 eggs? I'm curious to know! :)

cool! How did you pickle them?
I pickle them with onion and beets. I cook vinegar, sugar, and spices together. I have a recipe written down. I let them sit in a big jar in the fridge and just add more eggs when it would get low. I cant wait for this flock of pullets to all start laying so I can make some.

I have 9 pullets and the first to lay did so just over a month ago. Some just started and I think a couple have not started. Right now I get 4 to 7 eggs a day. They are great for using in recipes, fried egg on a BLT, breakfast for dinner, potato salad (I use at least a dozen), egg salad sandwiches, planning to a quiche later this week. I've given several dozen away already to friends, a contractor and a doctor. I have only given my birds scrambled eggs twice, but will probably do it more often this winter when they may not be out free ranging as much.

I attempted to hatch 8 eggs, but due to incubating errors ended up with one sweet chick -- Eve.

I always save my eggshells. I just toss them in a bag in the pantry and when it's full I put them on a cookie sheet and bake till dry and crush them for giving back to the girls.

I have 9 pullets and the first to lay did so just over a month ago. Some just started and I think a couple have not started. Right now I get 4 to 7 eggs a day. They are great for using in recipes, fried egg on a BLT, breakfast for dinner, potato salad (I use at least a dozen), egg salad sandwiches, planning to a quiche later this week. I've given several dozen away already to friends, a contractor and a doctor. I have only given my birds scrambled eggs twice, but will probably do it more often this winter when they may not be out free ranging as much.

I attempted to hatch 8 eggs, but due to incubating errors ended up with one sweet chick -- Eve.

I always save my eggshells. I just toss them in a bag in the pantry and when it's full I put them on a cookie sheet and bake till dry and crush them for giving back to the girls.
I've read about folks baking eggshells before serving them to chickens several times now. What's the benefit and why not just feed them raw?

Back
Top Bottom