What do you line the bottom of the bator at lockdown time??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by petunias212, Mar 24, 2011.

1. petunias212

petunias212 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    i used those rubber shelf liner things - are those okay or should I just let the eggs lie on the wire grid? Thanks.

2. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    i put a paper towel on the bottom of the bator

3. Zanna

Zanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2010
    Jefferson, Oregon
    I have used rubber shelf liner and also just hatched out on the wire, no issues either way, just a little easier to clean up after when using the liner.

4. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Quote:X2

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Quote:I use the rubber liner as well. They clean up nice. Wire is OK as well just as long as it has the real small squares so feet don't fall through. [​IMG]

6. petunias212

petunias212 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    thank you so much for your answers - i'm a nervous nilly...my first time hatch...i'm on day 2 of lockdown and only two eggs rocking so i'm worrying myself to death on whether i've done everything right - the suspense is killing me!!! [​IMG]

7. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

You can see in my webcams in my signature I use the rubber shelf liners too an never had an issue.

8. FombellClucks

FombellClucks Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2010
    Okay what do I do...I put down the paper towels and they absorbed the water from the sponges and are moist now....is this bad?? They aren't soaking wet just a little on the moist side. I have 2 layers of them in there since the first ones seemed to wet. Do I need to just remove them all together?

9. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

I try not to use paper anything if I can for that reason. At least in the little incubators. I would try to do without an leave them on the wire if all you have is paper.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by