What do you make of this?

redfordchick

Chirping
Feb 8, 2015
Michigan
I don't have chickens yet, but I have read the code for my city before and for some reason I had the impression the coop had to be 30' from any dwelling, but tonight I looked again and it says from property line.

There is not a limit on number of hens, and I can't even find a rooster restriction, although I would not keep one because we are in a neighborhood.

My yard is a very weird shape, but is very big. It will make placement a little tricky because my yard is angled and very long but longer then wide. However, it would work out well for me if I was able to put a coop close to MY house but 30' from the property lines. My backyard is shaped like a boomerang almost... Hard to explain.

Last edited:
I have the same issue. it's not from any dwelling, but from any property line, which screws me over since mine is narrow but very deep. Our Ordinance reads 100ft from any property line. and our property is only 150ft across.

You'd have to have at least a 60ft by 60ft sized property I guess in order to meet your current law. Perhaps you can apply for a variance if you don't think your neighbors would mind.

I feel your pain!!!

I have the same issue. it's not from any dwelling, but from any property line, which screws me over since mine is narrow but very deep. Our Ordinance reads 100ft from any property line. and our property is only 150ft across.

You'd have to have at least a 60ft by 60ft sized property I guess in order to meet your current law. Perhaps you can apply for a variance if you don't think your neighbors would mind.

I feel your pain!!!

I don't have measurements, but I'm pretty sure its 60' wide. One neighbor said he has no objections at all. We don't even know the other neighbor but she stays inside and seems fine, but with the way my yard is I'd rather have a coop over to the side with the neighbor who is cool with the chickens. I'm thinking maybe I'll start with a basic prefab coop close to my house, and then see what I can do to get permission to build a more permanent run in the spot I have picked out.

I feel for you though, 100' restriction is crazy!

Also, my yard is surrounded by brush/trees. So right now I can see the neighbors yard but when the trees are filled out you don't see much of anything!

Back
Top Bottom