What do you mark your eggs with?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenlady81, Jun 8, 2010.

1. chickenlady81

chickenlady81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2008
    Weare, NH
    Do you use only pencil? marker? I have some button quail and the eggs are dark so a pencil doesnt show up...any suggestions???

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I don't do quail, but I use a black sharpie on chicken eggs. Some people raise concerns about the solvents hurting the chick, but I get the same hatch rate with eggs marked with a sharpie as I get with unmarked eggs.

I've heard of people using crayons and such, but since eggs are porous so the chick inside can breathe, I'd tend to stay away from waxy things that might interfere with the air exchange through the shell. As long as you don't overdo it though it probably would not matter.

3. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    i use a thin sharpie. didn't notice a difference between the sharpie and the pencil as far as hatches and chick health, so i kept using marker. much easier to mark, and it doesn't fade.

4. Bawk Vader

Bawk Vader Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2010
    Belleview, FL (Central)
    I use a sharpie

5. pkw

pkw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    I use a black sharpie

6. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I use a pencil on light eggs, and a silver r gold metallic pencil on dark eggs.

7. the funny farm6615

the funny farm6615 Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2010
    iowa
    fine tip sharpy

8. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    I've used a sharpie and/or grease pencil at times, couldn't see a difference in hatch rates, only the grease pencil does wear off easier.

9. chickenlady81

chickenlady81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2008
    Weare, NH
    thanks everyone, I think a sharpie will work better for me :)

10. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Whatever I happen to have at hand. The eggs don't seem particular. I've used pencil, crayon, marker, colored pencil, even tried a ballpoint once but it wouldn't mark. Doesn't seem to matter much--whatever works for you. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by