1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What do you need in a brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by iluvwyandottes, Feb 21, 2009.

1. iluvwyandottes

iluvwyandottes Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2008
    CA
    I'm confused. I hear you need all these things.[​IMG] What do you absolutely need and what are the thing s you can do without, but a prefered to have.

2. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Check out the first sticky--"Post pics of your brooders"--after a few pages, you will have a REALLY good idea of how a brooder should be set up. It is pretty simple--litter, food, water, and a lamp. Thermometer is a good idea. Wire over the top is also a good idea. After the first few days you can start getting creative, with roosts, etc...if you want.

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

First of all, you need a waterer, feeder, some bedding (use straw or papertowels the first 2-3 days then switch to pine shavings). You need a red heat lamp, and a heat lamp holder.

4. iluvwyandottes

iluvwyandottes Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2008
    CA
    thanks and second it's ok to use cardboard boxes right. I get a lot of them.

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I use carboard boxes at times. They make great brooder boxes, especially the larger ones.

6. smfritch

smfritch Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2008
    Weaverville, CA
    I put chicks in mine..... [​IMG] But seriously,,, a warm temperature controlled environment with food and water. There is a thread about brooders at the beginning of this forum that may help....

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  7. OldMORoo

OldMORoo Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2009
    S. W. MO
    When I first got mine, I used a large clear plastic storeage container with a 60 watt bulb and a small waterer and feeder in my laundryroom. After I found one wanting to roost on the lip, I movied them to a dog kennel that my stepbrother used for his dogs. Has 4 dog boxs in back with a walk in, about 4 1/2 ft. by 3 ft each. Use hanging feeder and a auto water with lots of straw for them to play in. They love it.
    Claude

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by