What do you need to hatch quail eggs as a beginner and how much will it cost?

Do you know company online who sells/ships chicks to southern California that don't have a minimum since all or most companies who ship only sell chicks with at least 20-30 minimum order or no minimums for adult quails
I checked Craigslist for your area and you have local options for quail.

Is craiglist reliable since I heard stories of people getting robbed/beaten up when buying/selling in craiglist
Be careful, of course. Meet someplace neutral. For the most part, people buying quail aren't exactly a prime target for robbery. Not enough money involved. The thing to be careful of with craiglist is to get a picture of how the birds are housed and if you're getting eggs, what the parents look like. You want healthy birds, and not everyone on craiglist takes good care of their birds.

There are also some really good people on craigslist. You just have to ask a few questions.

You mean southern California?
Yes, southern CA. I've never had an issue with selling and buying things through craigslist but use common sense and trust your gut. Take a buddy if you have one or maybe a gun if you don't (haha). In all seriousness though, I've never had anyone try anything shady. You can always ask to meet in a public place like a parking lot in a high traffic area.

I live in Hawaii. I ordered hatching eggs from Paradise Poultry (1st link). I wouldn't ship my eggs or chicks at that altitude to California for that distance. As it is, my hatch rate between the Hawaiian Islands was low due to a number of factors, likely the shipping too.

Best bet is Craigslist for chicks. This link is for a quail breeder who sells chicks for $6 each.
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/grd/d/norwalk-quail-quail-eggs/7329581092.html

This link is for another quail breeder with a variety of breeding lines beginning at $4 each.
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/grd/d/riverside-quail-quail-hatching-eggs-and/7320856523.html

These are brick and mortar breeders. You should be safe.

Back
Top Bottom