1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What do you need to sell eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by possumhunter, Feb 18, 2010.

1. possumhunter

possumhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2010
    I'm toying with idea of selling eggs (if my hens ever all lay at the same). Do you need a permit from USDA? I tried looking on their website and it was so big I couldn't find what I was looking for.

2. emmalynn

emmalynn Silkies Sebbies OEGBs

Oct 16, 2008
    Middle TN
    Not exactly. You need NPIP certification. You wll discover that lots of people don' t though

3. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    i dont have a permit for selling my eggs. [​IMG]
    they are mostly sold to work friends,.,.... family gets them for free! [​IMG]

4. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    here in florida we can sell fertile hatching eggs.........you can eat them. it's the way to get around the law here in Fl.

5. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    i sell mine here in maine. i have a sign up people stop and buy them 2.00 dozen dont thiink you need a license unless your selling commercial.

6. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    It depends on your state what you need to sell eggs. Perhaps call your State Extension Office. In many states such as PA there are only basic rules if you have less than 1000 birds or something. Where do you have to be NPIP to sell eggs??

7. dichotomymom

dichotomymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    I sell mine from home and according to our extension office, I don't need a permit. However, if I want to sell to businesses or outside my home (farmer's market), I have to be egg board certified.

8. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Don't ask, Don't tell. I sell to co-workers and neighbors. Here in Maryland to sell at a Farmer's Market, you have to follow specific rules, permet, refrigeration, etc. But the inspector told me, with the budget cuts, there are no inspectors. Don't worry about it.

9. possumhunter

possumhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2010
    Quote:Sorry, forgot to clarify....eggs for eating. Do they need NPIP certification for that?

Silly stunt...do people buy the fertile eggs for eating? And then you don't need any other permit?

I'm thinking about an ad on CL...although I might know enough people to be able to sell to without advertising.

Emmalynn - Do you have to have NPIP certification to sell hatching eggs? I thought it was preferred, but not required. I was thinking about offering these as well, but I'm not NPIP certified and not sure I can afford any big expenses.

I'm really not planning on a large operation. Just selling a few extras now and then. But I don't want to get caught doing something illegal.

10. thekla

thekla Chillin' With My Peeps

depends on your state - without a permit I can sell direct to people, but can't sell to stores etc for resale - most states let you sell direct with out a permit I think, but you should check locally.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by