What Do You Pay For Feed?

I check around when I first bought feed. Purnia and TSC were the most expensive. I now drive 30 mins away to buy ADM which is alot better than anything local and cheaper than purina, tsc or our co-op. There all go for $14 to $16 for 50lbs. I am getting $12 to $13 depending if it is egg balancer or game breeder. I hear feed will be going even higher this year. That why most of my garden will be for chickens for winter.

Our feed store only carries chicken feed in the spring when they are selling chicks. The rest of the year, nothing for chickens. When it's in, it's $5 for a 5 pound bag of chick starter. $15 for a 40 pound bag of layer feed. $21 for a 50 pound bag of Flock Raiser.

I'm mixing my own, I get brewer's grain from a beer brewery for free, $8/50 pounds of alfalfa pellets, $15/50 pounds organic wheat, $10/50 pounds of organic oats, $8/40 pounds whole corn, $8/25 pounds organic peas. The mix I make costs me 14 cents per pound and I can feed it to all my poultry and goats. I also free range my chickens some on most days, and I just made a contact with a restaurant that can get me a couple of trash bags or so a week of leftovers.

$21 for flock raiser!

I have to confess I've lived in Arizona for a year or two in the past. I was SURE happy to come back to good ol' inexpensive, California!

I think you can order feed by mail?

Quote:
Fortunately, the place where I buy Chicken Feed also purchases scrap beer cans for recycling. They will give 5 or 10 cents MORE for the recycled aluminum cans IF you use the proceeds to purchase something. So...I save the cans....and they buy PART of my feed.
The rest is CASH.....hopefully some of that cash is egg-sales....but not always.

I've considered selling some "baby chicks" after hatching.....but I don't know how big the Market might be here for that. It would probably cost me as much in feed as what I would get for the birds...MAYBE MORE.

Maybe we could start some "Chicken Races" (They do it with "plastic Ducks" ! ).

Now that "Cock-Fighting" is illegal NATIONWIDE ( even in New Mexico ).....racing may be our only chance of feeding the poor, mistreated, critters.

-Junkmanme-
old.gif

P.S. I've got a MEAN Old Rooster that keeps attacking me. I tell him that he could get arrested for "Cock-Fighting"....but, apparently, he doesn't care about that. I may have to EAT him. (that is Legal.)

Back
Top Bottom