What do you put in your nest box?

I use straw. I change it about once a month.
I have 5 boxes for about 16 hens. Very seldom do i find poop in them.
The only broken eggs i have are the very ocasional shell less or thin shelled egg.
cgcgccg 017.JPG

I use straw, stuff a fat flake down in there and 'bowl' it out a bit,
but have a piece of vinyl flooring on the bottom of each nest for easy cleaning of broken eggs, and have an extra one to swap out quickly when needed.

Nothing will 'absorb' a broken egg mess, get it all out quick before it gets tracked all over and/or starts to stink.

Hi! We have had chickens for several years and have tried lots of things in the nest boxes. We started out with wood chips, then tried the plastic "grass" liners for roll-out nest boxes. Currently I am using straw/hay. My issue is that sometimes an egg will get stepped on or a broody hen will poo in the nest boxes. The boxes are not easy to clean as none of the things I have tried are absorbent. We use Sweet PDZ on the roost and I was wondering if anyone uses PDZ in the nest boxes...or have any other ideas that could help me out.
Thank you in advance!
This is what I've found to be the best answer.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...e-make-a-sitting-hens-job-so-difficult.74389/

Great responses and good article! I think I will try the base if PDZ and stick with the straw! Thank you all! I do like the vinyl nest box liners and will do that as well. As soon as it quits raining, I’m off to get it set up! Thank you!

Hi!
I know this is an older post. Hopefully someone is still listening:fl
What is PDZ?
I have been using pine shavings since TSC told me to do that because hay might be bad for them?!
I bought 3 bales of freshly cut hay and been storing it dry. So I just started to use a little in the run. Pine in the coop. I think I will use hay in the nesting boxes.
Seems like it is more of an issue if it isn’t fresh or clean. Right?

Hi!
I know this is an older post. Hopefully someone is still listening:fl
What is PDZ?
I have been using pine shavings since TSC told me to do that because hay might be bad for them?!
I bought 3 bales of freshly cut hay and been storing it dry. So I just started to use a little in the run. Pine in the coop. I think I will use hay in the nesting boxes.
Seems like it is more of an issue if it isn’t fresh or clean. Right?
Hi! Yup, still here!
The Sweet PDZ is a granulated horse stall freshener. I use it on my poop boards. Scoops clean like cat litter, keeps the ammonia and moisture low. I get it at Tractor Supply. I also sprinkle a little on the floor of the coop. I did eventually decide to put a bit in the bottoms of my nest boxes too as I frequently have Brody’s who occasionally poop in the nest boxes. I hope this helps!

Hay or straw? Hay is for eating and straw is for bedding
Thanks! I didn’t realize they were different. I paid $4 a bale and it was freshly cut. I thought it was called hay on the ad.
It looks clean a few grains and long yellow fibrous stalks.
My husband said it is straw.
So if it is hay it should of cost more .:) I guess I don’t know. The chickens do eat the few grains in it.

Back
Top Bottom