what do you put in your nest box?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by happymom99, Jun 1, 2011.

1. happymom99

happymom99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    California
    I put pine shavings on the bottom of the coop. Is that what I put in the nest boxes too?

Thanks,
    CJ

2. gogoalie

gogoalie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Alaska
    I old dry grass that grows to 3 feet...I think people would call this "straw"...

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    That's what I put in my nest box. Shavings, I mean to say...

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  4. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Mine prefer straw with plastic eggs. If I take the plastic eggs out, they go crazy.

5. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    Pine shavings, either large or small, both work well. The larger ones do tend to last longer...the smaller shavings get pulverized quicker.
    I tried straw ONCE only...it worked great but to my horror...field mice got in and had nested underneath so that what I thought was the broody's leg when I was checking for eggs one afternoon was mice! [​IMG] I don't know who scared who worse, but I took that straw out and never used it again!
    I can at least see what's in the shavings better, LOL.

6. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Quote:That would be the last time I used straw too! Yikes! I had a big mouse problem in my coop, so I had to hardware cloth everything and add a floor to the chicken tractor. No mouse can penetrate my coop!

7. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    My favorite is long leaf pine needles or other long pine straw. What I usually end up using though is Bermuda hay. This last time I mixed hay and shavings together as an experiment. Straight shavings I did not care for. Too easy for eggs to get lost. Straw works well too.

8. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    I use plastic dish pans for my nest boxes, easy to clean and some what giving for eggs hitting them. One of my hens will not tolerate anything in the nest box and will spends hours cleaning it out of straw, shavings, sawdust, you name it, she gets it out before she'll lay.

9. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

I use straw.

10. fishin-nole

fishin-nole Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    I use white cypress shavings from a local outdoor furniture builder. Free is good.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by