what do you put in your nest box?

We keep adding hay and they keep scratching it out!
I am researching....
how did the sand work?
did they scratch it all out too?
Is it ok for the chickens to lay in empty boxes?
has anyone else tried the old clothes or rags? I am NOT going to wash them to keep them clean but would throw away once they were too soiled and replace with new (old) rags.

I was using straw, but they scratched it all out. I tried the needles from the Athol trees that grow like weeds out here, but they scratched that out too. With nothing in the boxes the eggs kept getting cracked, so I cut up some shag carpet samples and they love it. And no more cracked eggs!

Straw. So far it stays in place.
97568_2002_0101image0009.jpg
Those are wooden eggs from a craft shop.

The only problem with hay and straw is that it's a great home for mites and lice! AHHH! lol. I just sprayed my coop for mites and the next day FINALLY got an egg. YUSS
big_smile.png

I used sand (like the coop) in the summer because it kept them cool. Now I'm using pine shavings (also a layer over the sand in the coop for their feeties) to keep them warm. Eggs are clean, and the girls get nice and toasty under there while they're settin'.

Because our nests are actually lower than the coop floor, there is a very deep lip, so no danger of shavings being kicked out. I had fake eggs at first, but they kept kicking them out, and they've been laying great without them for months now.

86005_coop_nesting_boxes_outside3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom