What do you put in your nesting boxes?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by justduckie, Aug 19, 2007.

1. justduckie

justduckie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2007
    My babies have started to lay......finally! I have three nesting boxes (only have 5 pullets and 3 bantams) and they seem to using them well. I've been getting a couple of eggs each day.

My question......should I put something in the nesting boxes to make them more comfortable? Right now I've been gathering up loose hay from around our hay stack and putting that in the boxes. The girls seem to make that into a little nest. I've been changing out the hay about once a week in case they poop in the boxes.....it makes it easier to clean. I throw the dirty hay in a pile that I'm hoping will turn into a compost pile.

Is there something better to put in the boxes? Should I use anything at all?

2. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Just a good layer of hay or even wood chips... you can get a bag from TSC for about 6.00.

Sounds like you are doing everything correctly. I wouldnt change anything.

Tes

3. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    I think it is just your preference. I use wood shavings because I like the smell, seems more fluffy, and it's pretty easy to clean out - plus I'm allergic to straw & hay. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by