what do you put under your roost to catch the droppings

i line up a couple of rows of small bowls.. then about once a week I empty them and rinse them out..
keeps the floor cleaner.. once in awhile a chicken sits on the roost backwards and misses her bowl.
but I just hand her a napkin and make her clean it up..
wink.png

This is my first experience with chickens so this isn't expert advice. My chickens just poo on the floor that i have covered with pine. I have been cleaning that area up about every 2 months.. But a lot of the chickens roost on the top shelf above my nesting boxes and that area gets poopy real fast so once a week i use a dust pan to clean it off and put new pine shaving down. Sometimes it is not so easy to get off when it freezes onto the wood. I put a 2x4 with the flat side up because i read somewhere that their feet would be flatter and would stay warm under their bodies but they don't seem to like it. If someone has better idea i would love to know because i'm not sure of an easier way at this point.

Quote:
My hubby just made me another poop board and he covered it with scrap aluminum..from inside doors???..on the others I have used peel on tiles from the dollar store..I put poop boards over the nest boxes also...larger ones so they dont make a mess in the boxes...hope that helps

Quote:
i have the same setup just started them on the new 2x4 ladder roost flatside down. last night there were 6 on the top roost fighting for position . tonight 4 on top 3 on middle rung and 7 in the nest boxes.even with the roost higher half still roost in the nests. ugghh cant break there habit.

Quote:
i have the same setup just started them on the new 2x4 ladder roost flatside down. last night there were 6 on the top roost fighting for position . tonight 4 on top 3 on middle rung and 7 in the nest boxes.even with the roost higher half still roost in the nests. ugghh cant break there habit.

They aren't really pooping in the nesting boxes. I have to rows of 4 boxes stacked on top each other but on the very top there is a ledge they roost on and they usually sit with there heads out and there rear in towards the shelf so the majority of the poo stays on top and doesn't drop down to the nesting boxes. I've been pretty lucky that they don't seem to poo too much in their boxes but i'm wondering if is should take the piece of wood off the top shelf to discourage them from roosting up there although it is easy enough to clean up.

Back
Top Bottom