What do you say when someone thinks you are strange for having chicken addiction? So I'm a Dork... I

chickwhispers

A French Hen
10 Years
Apr 16, 2012
Northwest OH
My Coop
My Coop
Recently my good friend was told by another of her friends that she was a "Dork" All in good fun of course. But what do you say when someone thinks you are strange for having chicken addiction?

I wouldn't say I have a "chicken addiction", but I'm into raising chickens; it's one of my hobbies and I know much about it. It's a quite unusual hobby for an 18 year old high school senior in the Philly suburbs. I'm also into other livestock and I garden. I also raise bees and tend to prefer working outside over other things. I'm not the types who sits inside and plays video games, watch tv, and whatever other people my age do; I don't even know because I don't care.

My best friend is involved in the same hobbies so I don't feel like a complete outsider, but even if I was, I don't care. I never try to hide it because I actually take a certain amount of pride in what I do, because it s unique and I enjoy it. I've never been called a dork, but people do find it weird, including my own parents. But I just ignore it, and like I said, I take pride because it's a productive hobby I enjoy. Majority of my classmates are just going to college for a general business degree (lame), and I'm going for agriculture.

My biggest issue is I can't find any ladies into this stuff too! and I've been single my whole life so far. It's good to be with someone different, but I can't really put myself with a girl who's afraid to get dirty and has no interests at all in majority of my hobbies... The thing that cracks me up is the girls out here who claim to be "country"; listen to country music, wear cowboy boots, claim to be into trucks... Put her near a cow, and she will complain. Keep her outside long enough, she will complain. What's the difference between a v8 and v6? She doesn't know haha. But I will probably be matched up with my own kind in agriculture studies in college and when I move out of the suburbs (hopefully).

Wow that is amazing for anyone to tackle all that no matter what age! That's Awesome. But as far as the ladies go Hang in there Farmer Mike S! They are out there with the same interest and hobbies as you. Do you have FFA or 4H in Glenn Mills? Yes you will meet all kinds at college and more in the ag department who will be more in tune with your hobbies. But you're young so enjoy life and just do what you think is right for you!

I wouldn't say I have a "chicken addiction", but I'm into raising chickens; it's one of my hobbies and I know much about it. It's a quite unusual hobby for an 18 year old high school senior in the Philly suburbs. I'm also into other livestock and I garden. I also raise bees and tend to prefer working outside over other things. I'm not the types who sits inside and plays video games, watch tv, and whatever other people my age do; I don't even know because I don't care.

My best friend is involved in the same hobbies so I don't feel like a complete outsider, but even if I was, I don't care. I never try to hide it because I actually take a certain amount of pride in what I do, because it s unique and I enjoy it. I've never been called a dork, but people do find it weird, including my own parents. But I just ignore it, and like I said, I take pride because it's a productive hobby I enjoy. Majority of my classmates are just going to college for a general business degree (lame), and I'm going for agriculture.

My biggest issue is I can't find any ladies into this stuff too! and I've been single my whole life so far. It's good to be with someone different, but I can't really put myself with a girl who's afraid to get dirty and has no interests at all in majority of my hobbies... The thing that cracks me up is the girls out here who claim to be "country"; listen to country music, wear cowboy boots, claim to be into trucks... Put her near a cow, and she will complain. Keep her outside long enough, she will complain. What's the difference between a v8 and v6? She doesn't know haha. But I will probably be matched up with my own kind in agriculture studies in college and when I move out of the suburbs (hopefully).
You need to move to S. GA. Plenty of girls will be interested in you. We're all into trucks and farm animals, tractors, etc out here. Very rural and farm oriented. :)

I get picked on by other people I know for being a chicken Addict. It's not that they are trying to be mean, but you do feel kind of alienated even if they meant it in a joking fashion.
The thing is I love animals, I like having animals that I have to get up in the morning and go feed; even if that means blazing a path through two feet of snow.
My neighbors think I am weird because my chickens and I have spring training, where we all try to get back into shape by running around the yard. It's funny to watch me jogging around the barn a million times with 24 chickens running after me.
I like having fresh eggs, and I like knowing what has gone into the eggs.
So they can call me a freak, and a chicken addict all they want; but in the end I am who I am and I LOVE chickens!

I say embrace it. Being normal is just no fun at all. While I'll always work to make sure my odd little habits don't adversely affect others (keep a clean coop, just don't even talk about the honey bees, try to put the pretty ornamental veggies in the front yard), I love being me. I love my chickens and can't wait to get more. I love living my own adventures instead of wishing I was living the adventures I see on TV. And if that means I'm single, at least I'm single and happy with myself instead of trying to be someone else.

When I first started raising chickens I got a lot of odd looks mingled with awkward, but strenuously polite comments. I figured I'd be a bit of a thorn in the side of every parent in the neighborhood, what with their children constantly at my house playing with the dog, chickens, and snake. Turns out they've come to love me over time. One family isn't keen on their children having lots of animals, but they have a son with Aspergers who struggled with the move to our area. Turns out they all love me. He can come over and play with my animals, which has brought him out of his shell a bit, and they don't have to keep any of their own. Turns out a few neighbors didn't know I even had chickens, even with their kids coming over to play. And the neighbors I was most concerned about laugh to see the girls pecking about the back yard and being held in my lap on the back porch.

You and your friend just be yourselves chickwhispers. As long as you're good and kind everything should be fine.

Last edited:
Do you have FFA or 4H in Glenn Mills?

Yes we do but I think I'm a bit too old now, and a friend of mine told me the one around here is lame. She said I would probably know more than everyone there and I don't even know much! And I'm sorry if I'm "hijacking" your thread. I'm not trying to do it on purpose, you just brought up a topic I'm highly interested in :)

You need to move to S. GA. Plenty of girls will be interested in you. We're all into trucks and farm animals, tractors, etc out here. Very rural and farm oriented. :)

Yea I plan to head out there someday hopefully!

I say embrace it. Being normal is just no fun at all.

I feel the same way, good for you!

Last edited:
I say embrace it. Being normal is just no fun at all. While I'll always work to make sure my odd little habits don't adversely affect others (keep a clean coop, just don't even talk about the honey bees, try to put the pretty ornamental veggies in the front yard), I love being me. I love my chickens and can't wait to get more. I love living my own adventures instead of wishing I was living the adventures I see on TV. And if that means I'm single, at least I'm single and happy with myself instead of trying to be someone else. 

When I first started raising chickens I got a lot of odd looks mingled with awkward, but strenuously polite comments. I figured I'd be a bit of a thorn in the side of every parent in the neighborhood, what with their children constantly at my house playing with the dog, chickens, and snake. Turns out they've come to love me over time. One family isn't keen on their children having lots of animals, but they have a son with Aspergers who struggled with the move to our area. Turns out they all love me. He can come over and play with my animals, which has brought him out of his shell a bit, and they don't have to keep any of their own. Turns out a few neighbors didn't know I even had chickens, even with their kids coming over to play. And the neighbors I was most concerned about laugh to see the girls pecking about the back yard and being held in my lap on the back porch.

You and your friend just be yourselves chickwhispers. As long as you're good and kind everything should be fine.

:thumbsup That's such a nice story! Good to hear something extra came of your having animals!
And my friend and I are pretty good. I think those that know me and care about me enough take time to figure out that's a good thing especially when they taste the eggs! :D

Last edited:
Do you have FFA or 4H in Glenn Mills?

Yes we do but I think I'm a bit too old now, and a friend of mine told me the one around here is lame. She said I would probably know more than everyone there and I don't even know much! And I'm sorry if I'm "hijacking" your thread. I'm not trying to do it on purpose, you just brought up a topic I'm highly interested in :)

Yea I plan to head out there someday hopefully!

I say embrace it. Being normal is just no fun at all.

I feel the same way, good for you!

No you're not hijacking it at all. That's why I put this out there for everyone's input. Sometimes I get busy and may not have time to respond.!

Hope you do get to make it to GA some day! I loved it when I got to visit!

Back
Top Bottom