What do you see in Easter eggers? (Hater here)

Druantai

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 2, 2012
Tampa, FL
I really dislike the breed. Outside of color eggs, they're not fun to be around. I've had about 10 different eggers and they all had horrible personalities, they were not even sweet. So I ate them.

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience with your Easter Eggers. We were so excited to get them that we spent more time with them as young chicks and their personalities are what make them attractive to us as adult birds.
Our only male arrived with pasty butt, he became so weak that we didn't think he would last his first week. He walked backwards and sideways, so we named him Mr. Magoo. After treatment he quickly surpassed the girls and is a gentle, watch rooster today. He comes to the back window, hops up on the AC compressor and crows until I come to the window to greet him each day.
One of the girls got her name, Painter, because as a teen chick she help DH paint the pop door and ramp. She had white paint on her golden feathers for months.
Last week we noticed that another of the girls was not joining the others for scratch in the evening, choosing instead to move to her favorite roosting spot. When DH placed a small amount of scratch near her she hopped onto his arm, came across his shoulder and worked first her head, then the rest of her body into his coat. She nuzzled in and would have stayed if DH didn't need to leave the barn.
Yes, they are independent for the most part and we have had to hunt for their eggs every day and they keep changing where they lay, even the nesting boxes occasionally, but that means that we make a complete sweep of the barn every day - a good thing for us and the flock.
We have dual purpose birds, several breeds we have culled for one reason or another, but our EEs are a permanent part of our flock.

Back
Top Bottom