what do you think about this chicken feed?

sóley

Songster
Feb 4, 2018
what do you think about this chicken feed, I feed my chickens this every day, I started feeding in this summer, I was before feeding them some chicken feed for laying hens but I didn't think they where laying very well on that feed so I change into this one and they stared laying much better.

but one person I know told me tho that this chicken feed is just a treat, they should probably not have this every day, what do you think? is it unhealthy for them to have this every day?

I think there laying well on this feed and they seem to like it to

maybe I could buy laying chicken feed as well and mix it to this feed if that's better for them?

I also feed them table scraps once a week, and I alway let them have full access to oyster shells every day

Attachments

• vdm-102643.c6ed07.jpg
    vdm-102643.c6ed07.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
what do you think about this chicken feed, I feed my chickens this every day, I started feeding in this summer, I was before feeding them some chicken feed for laying hens but I didn't think they where laying very well on that feed so I change into this one and they stared laying much better.

but one person I know told me tho that this chicken feed is just a treat, they should probably not have this every day, what do you think? is it unhealthy for them to have this every day?

maybe I could buy laying chicken feed as well and mix it to this feed if that's better for them?

I also feed them table scraps once a week
"Methionine 0%, Lysine 0%, Phosphorus 0%, Calcium 1%, Sodium 0%"

"Operating Instructions
Period: From the first day until the young chickens are mature (+/- 18 weeks)."

https://www.agradi.com/versele-laga-chicken-feed-countrys-best-gold-12-mash-5kg.htm

It looks like very poor quality feed to me. All poultry need their lysine, methionine, phosphorus and sodium. While they may only need low amounts, they do need them which is why any good quality feed has them all present. The calcium amount is acceptable for some but I feel that my layers need a higher amount of calcium such as the 3% to 4% calcium found in layer feed.

Even the manufacturer does not recommend it for mature birds with their statement of from first day to +/- 18 weeks.

It also appears to be quite expensive since it is sold in 5 kg bags.

I would not feed it to my chickens.

sorry took to wrong picture it's this one, sold in 20kg
I don't know maybe it's just the same tho maybe?

https://www.zoo-bio.co.uk/versele-laga/21855-countrys-best-gold-4-mix
That is a better quality feed than the first pictured. They do list it as a layer feed and the calcium level is fine if you live in an area that is high in limestone. The lysine, methionine, phosphorus and sodium levels are also acceptable.

It still is an expensive feed compared to what I pay for 50 lb. sacks of layer pellets. The person that told you it was a treat was mistaken.

This contains whole grains/seeds mixed with pellets? Birds will often pick out that which they like and leave that which they don't, which can cause deficiency problems long term. A fully pelleted or crumbled feed prevents that since they can't pick and choose. That would by my main concern. I feed a flock raiser crumble and provide oyster shell/egg shell mixed free choice in another feeder and have no shell quality issues or other problems. I found mine did better on the higher protein, and since I have roo's and some older hens, they don't need the extra calcium in layer feed.

If you want to try, add warm water to some and see if they like it . That way they will eat it all up and not be able to pick out all the good bits only ...

Than you can read about fermented feed which requires soaking for a few days before feeding it .

Have fun, what kind of birds do you have?How old are they ?

Okey thanks so much for the help
I have a few breeds of chickens, silkie, pekin bantam, Icelandic chickens, leghorns, rhode Island red, cream legbar, cuckoo maran, Light Sussex and brahma

also I am fondering, I just found out that chickens need grit to, I have only feed them oyster shells and egg shells, so I am thinking of buying some grit for them, I keep the oyster shells in a dog/cat bowl, should I have the grit and oyster shell in the same bowl or should I have them separated? :)

I also feed them table scraps once a week, and I alway let them have full access to oyster shells every day
I'm pretty new at this myself, but I have done a lot of research in a short period of time. A couple of things about this brand of feed that would compel me not to use are as follows; First, it has a lot soy. Secondly the soy it contains is genetically modified soy. I would avoid it simply due to the GMO's

Yes, they should have grit available, put it in a separate feeder. In some environments they find it as they peck around, in some there is just not enough, it's best to have it available for them.

Back
Top Bottom