What do you think about this feeder?

ladybug00

Hatching
11 Years
Feb 22, 2008
I do some outside sales for a company that makes feeders. I am looking for feedback from people who know chickens (because I don't know squat even though I am trying to learn!). The feeder measures 28x28x13 and weighs less than 11 lbs. It holds up to 100lbs of feed and has a clear lid for easy feed level viewing. The guys who designed this thing tell me it keeps feed dry and reduces waste. What do you all think? I appreciate any help you can give me!!!

poultryfeeder.jpg

I think it has promise. I like the looks of it. It looks like a real good range feeder. I hope that it is not to priceeeeeeee. If not, I would buy it.

How big are the holes for the feed to be reached through? Large combed birds, such as many single comb roosters, may have trouble getting at feed if the hole isn't big enough, or worse, get their head stuck. But you say that it holds 100 lbs so those holes on the side must be pretty big so shouldn't be a problem for a guy like this:

comb2%20small%20Small%20800.jpg

As a range feeder I bet it would work great. I personally don't have enough birds (just 22 at the moment) to want to have more then 5-10 lbs of feed in feeders because even feed left in a cup under cover will mold in a week, and rats are a problem if excessive feed is left outside over night.

Silkie, your boy is stunning!!

As for the feeder, by the pic it looks small even though you say it holds 100 lbs. of feed. Could you take a pic with a coffee can or something familiar so we can get a size reference?

I like the look but wonder if it is practical, the sizing would really help I think, 10 lbs. is a little heavy to start with.

I like my cheap old dog feeder that cost me 3 bucks at a yard sale. I really don't think old farm folks, I know I won't, are going to spend alot of money when all they need is a bucket an a pan, so it spills a little that lets them scratch.

The newer richer rookies might like it,
D.gif

You wanted an honest opinion right? ya got it. Good luck with it.

Beautiful rooster silky!!! What is his name?

We're getting close to building a "real" coop and yard and stopping free ranging our chickens(don't want to but situation needs it) I have been looking for a feeder for our wild quail though. I don't really like the ones I've found, if not too expensive this looks like it would be good for that. We have three covies of about 50 each living in our creek, they go through a lot of feed(although our chickens and the wild birds right now also eat it).

Is the top overhang high enough for a large comb and head like silky asked?

Monica

Thanks for all of your responses. I will take another picture of it using a can as a point of reference. I will also try to get an accurate overhang measurement. The hoes are 1 7/8 inches in diameter. I usually sell these for $64.99 on my ebay store because I have to pay a bunch of ebay and paypal fees. However, if I sell them outright, I can do so for $10-12 cheaper. Shipping can be a little pricey sometimes because of the size. I usually estimate shipping before people buy though. I also have black ones that a lot of people buy for wild turkey and quail. Thanks again for all of your help!

The white leghorn roo there didn't have a name... and he went the way of the rooster due to 3 months of being unable to calm him down. Anything that moved was the target of his attacks.

Was the hole size right? Just 1.75 inches in diameter? If that's the case, my hens would even be hard pressed to get their head into the feeder to eat. Four holes is also kid of cramped for the number of hens you'd have to want to put out 100 lbs of feed out at the same time. More holes and bigger holes, like 5 in in diameter, or oblong so large combed birds can turn their heads to eat would work better. Best of luck!

I personally use a coffee can tied to a pan and hang that in the coop as a feeder and it works well because it is round and the roo's can eat "sideways" with their combs parallel to the cylinder .

Yeah, I agree with silkiechicken. 4 holes is not enough for such a large feeder. I have 6 hens: I would not want to take up that much space and yet not have them all be able to get a bite at the same time if they wanted to.

Also, i hope that the edges of those holes are really, really smooth. i can envision some bloody combs if not!

However, the overhanging eaves are a great idea if the feeder is meant to be used outdoors for free-ranging birds, I guess.

Back
Top Bottom