What do you think? Is she a he?

half-acre-homestead

Hatching
11 Years
Sep 13, 2008
Please excuse my newbie ignorance - but I just have to ask.

I ordered all females but I know that the sexing is not 100%. No big deal if I end up with a roo. I got 25 chicks including 5 black stars. Since black stars are sex links there is really no way one of them would accidentally end up male, right? Except one of the black stars is larger and has a MUCH bigger comb and the feathers are coming in black and white. The other 4 have reddish-orange feathers and very small combs.

Here are some pics I took today. They are not the best quality. I tried but the chicks were just not in the mood for a photo shoot.

This is representative of the 4 that look alike:
15749_chickens_013.jpg

Here is Francis/Frank:
15749_chickens_010.jpg

15749_chickens_008.jpg

15749_chickens_004.jpg

Is is even possible that a black star could turn out to be a roo?

Any guesses? Thanks!

I say that you have a little roo there. I recently hatched out 2 black sexling pullets and I have 1 black sexlink little roo. Mine are bigger than yours, but look the same.

Dorothy

edited to add: look at the different coloring on the feet/legs also.

Last edited:
He is super cute....looks like he's gonna tip over with that big comb on his head!
smile.png

I'm voting for a barred rock roo as well, though I guess dominiques and cuckoo marans probably look the same at that age.

Well, Dominiques have a rosecomb, and Marans have slate colored shanks. BR's have yellow shanks and toes. I think maybe a BR roo as well.

Back
Top Bottom