What do YOU think make great Free Range breeds?

greytmommy

Songster
8 Years
Mar 26, 2011
We have a small flock, and free range. We are planning on adding on more chicks in the spring and we are already planning. Our current flock includes: a Barred Rock, a silkie, a few Cochins, a few EE's, a Silver Cuckoo Maran.

We had a Polish that got nabbed that we really liked...so we will probably get at least ONE of those. We we are also thinking a Black Copper Maran....we really like our Maran and would love those super dark eggs.

What others do you think are good?

If I could do it differently: I would not have gotten 4 different Cochins...I LOOOOVE how they look, but they seem to have more trouble with our humidity/heat than the others (granted, we have had a REALLY hot year...). We also started w/ 3 silkies...and are down to one. My white ones were nabbed, so we dont want anything white again....and the silkie seems to be so slow in comparision to the others, and more difficulty forging.

so lay it on me! Which free range breeds do YOU like!!!
big_smile.png

We do REALLY like our Rock...she is SUPER sweet. She is my Hubs favorite chicken.... We have discussed a Partridge one....

My chanteclers love to free range along with my marans, sussex, ameraucans, and araucanas. I would never free range polish or those with poor vision.

you wouldn't do a polish, huh? Bummer....we really liked ours. But she was taken when we had a bad coon problem. Is it the crest that gives poor eyesight?

game fowl... american game, english game, OEGB... my OEGB are the best free rangers i have right now... today i saw some eating a bunch of maggots in front of my house from my neighbor's trash can... gross and cool at the same time... they also catch june bugs in mid flight...

Back
Top Bottom