What do you think of my ultimate Chicken Coop Build?

laceyfamilyfarms

Hatching
Apr 6, 2020
Hello all! I just wanted to get yalls opinion of my coop. This video shows my progression of coops.
I have had chicks for about 2-3 years now and have gone through about 4 different coops, from a tractor supply coop, to a rinky dink coop, to this one. It has a custom automatic watering system, easy to access nesting boxes, a ceiling fan for ventilation and a standard doorway for entry and access. It is also above the ground 1.5 feet because of our flood irrigation.
I am curious what yall think, because we are moving and im going to have to do it all over again and was curious what you guys thought and where i could improve it. This coop is big enough for ALOT more chickens, but we only have 7 now.
The new coops is at 2:28 in the video
I appreciate yalls honest feedback of everything.

I did have some questions about that coop. First, the latches on the door to the nesting boxes are cheap and would be easy for a raccoon to open them. The water in that tank has got to get awfully hot during the summer. Heck, it gets so hot where that man lives he is considering putting in AC. If you put out water in a container it will not take long for it to be hot enough for a shower during the summer. Also, that water tank would not work for a place that is cold as it would freeze. If you would put a stock tank deicer in it you could keep the tank thawed but the lines running to the water cups would freeze. The coop would fit about 16 chickens in it so 9 more than you have now. That clean out door is awfully small. If you build this coop you really should consider a larger clean out door. I can see that there was ventilation under the eaves but it was really hard to judge how much ventilation was actually there. For 16 chickens you would want about 16 square feet of ventilation. I would also question putting that ceiling fan in a coop. Chickens can fly. I would be afraid they might fly into that fan. He did not show any roosts at all so can't say anything about them.

This can be a good coop with some minor tweeking. Much of the tweeking depends on the climate where the coop will be built. What I build in Northern Montana is completely different than what someone would built in the Arizona desert.

And this is about his run, not the coop. There was nothing on the top to keep predators out of that run. It is open except for his shade cloth.

Back
Top Bottom