What do you think of Tractor Supply’s new chick bins?

Pics
That’s a good point. I know a lot of times chicks linger there for 3 or 4 weeks. They might get too tall. Especially the ducklings and cornish crosses. They might have to pull the old troughs out after all.
I bought 2 of these brooders and put them together last night. They are pretty tall in there. The box says you can raise 20 for 6 weeks. Obviously you can have more if they will only be in there short term. We had several 4 week olds we put in one of ours and I really don't think I would do more than 10 or 15 to 6 weeks old.
I was using a heat plate with the nipple waters on top, I put the plate moved up several inches with the waters on top and they fit with room to spare for my smallest chicks (newborn to 2 weeks) instead of the plate supplied.
For my older chicks I am using the heater supplied and they seem to be doing just fine. My husband LOVES that they can't jump out and poop all over the floor. He said why didn't you get those before. LOL (I would have LOVED to but they weren't an option "before")

I bought 2 of these brooders and put them together last night. They are pretty tall in there. The box says you can raise 20 for 6 weeks. Obviously you can have more if they will only be in there short term. We had several 4 week olds we put in one of ours and I really don't think I would do more than 10 or 15 to 6 weeks old.
I have 3 1/2 week standard breeds in my first brooder and I've had to move the supplied plate up once already. I imagine I'll have to move it up again. I don't think I'd fit 20 in all the way to 6 weeks -- four weeks maybe. They're looking like they're stepping on everybody's toes as it is now. Luckily, it looks like they have enough feathers that I can move them to a grow out cage outside. So, I'm planning on four weeks per hatch before moving on.

I was using a heat plate with the nipple waters on top, I put the plate moved up several inches with the waters on top and they fit with room to spare for my smallest chicks (newborn to 2 weeks) instead of the plate supplied.
Do you have a picture, link, details, etc on the heat plate you're talking about? Do you use the supplied brackets to mount them or...? I'm curious because I am looking for alternatives in case I reach a situation where the supplied plate isn't sufficient.

That’s a good point. I know a lot of times chicks linger there for 3 or 4 weeks. They might get too tall. Especially the ducklings and cornish crosses. They might have to pull the old troughs out after all.
For my older chicks I am using the heater supplied and they seem to be doing just fine. My husband LOVES that they can't jump out and poop all over the floor. He said why didn't you get those before. LOL (I would have LOVED to but they weren't an option "before")

I have 3 1/2 week standard breeds in my first brooder and I've had to move the supplied plate up once already. I imagine I'll have to move it up again. I don't think I'd fit 20 in all the way to 6 weeks -- four weeks maybe. They're looking like they're stepping on everybody's toes as it is now. Luckily, it looks like they have enough feathers that I can move them to a grow out cage outside. So, I'm planning on four weeks per hatch before moving on.

Do you have a picture, link, details, etc on the heat plate you're talking about? Do you use the supplied brackets to mount them or...? I'm curious because I am looking for alternatives in case I reach a situation where the supplied plate isn't sufficient.
https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/chick-nipple-drinker?cat_id=141

Here is the link to where you can see a picture and buy if you want. They have the waterers and the heat plate I use.
What I did was not even put my second heater together after I made sure this setup would fit in the first brooder I put together. I placed it on the floor like I had in my plastic tubs. The supplied heaters don't come down far enough for my liking for newborns. I have seen where others have put a blanket over the brooder or cover up some of the holes, but I already have this so will use it for newborns until a couple weeks. then move up a level.
I would say my heat plate is halfway up for my standard breed 4 week olds and the waterers still fit. (I LOVE these no mess waters and the chicks learn fast. Even my full grown ducks try to use them (learned from watching chickens). I would say the waterers would fit for another week or so then I will have to move them outside or use the built in waterer.

Really? I checked like two days ago and couldn't find anything besides a chick search and their heatpad
I found them online but you can't purchase them online (even for curbside pickup). I tried to find at local store and they said they weren't getting any in, only the bigger stores were getting 2. He looked up the closest ones to me and told me where to go. Had to drive almost 2 hours to get them.

Its warm to the touch not hot but the switch will go from 40 watt brooder to 200 watt coop heater and has feet to stand up. It was 40 bucks which is more than red lights but its keeping that space at a constant 95-100 and not 120 trying to find a way to hang the stupid light so it don't cook them. They can get under it toward the middle or stay towards the outside. Pics added. Its really nice wish I had bought it sooner for peace of mind. View attachment 2547486
Your heater looks exactly like the ones that come in the brooder boxes from TSC. Is it Producer's Pride brand? If so that would be the ones, but without feet. I wonder if I could buy just the feet and put the plate closer to the newborns and then hang when they get older. I wish they adjusted down closer to the ground in the brooder. They will move up higher but not as low to the bottom as they should for newborn's, especially bantam or quail.

I found them online but you can't purchase them online (even for curbside pickup). I tried to find at local store and they said they weren't getting any in, only the bigger stores were getting 2. He looked up the closest ones to me and told me where to go. Had to drive almost 2 hours to get them.
Really? I purchased on online about 5 days ago to be shipped to my store. I checked yesterday with the manager there and he said the system is showing a Friday (tomorrow) expected delivery date.

Your heater looks exactly like the ones that come in the brooder boxes from TSC. Is it Producer's Pride brand? If so that would be the ones, but without feet. I wonder if I could buy just the feet and put the plate closer to the newborns and then hang when they get older. I wish they adjusted down closer to the ground in the brooder. They will move up higher but not as low to the bottom as they should for newborn's, especially bantam or quail.
Yea, I don't expect quail to do very well in there. I was toying with the idea of trying to wire a light socket in that I could use when I want to brood quail but I haven't decided yet. I want to see how the chickens go.

20210312_114945.jpg

Back
Top Bottom