What do you think of Tractor Supply’s new chick bins?

Pics

Finnie

Crowing
9 Years
Oct 27, 2014
Just north of Indianapolis
I was just at TSC, and their Chick Days started about one hour before I got there. They have new bins!

No more stock tanks with filthy waters sitting in the shavings.

I wish I would have thought to take a picture. They are multi level brooders with plastic coated wire on the floor and slide out trays beneath. They have a heat plate suspended in the middle for the chicks to warm up under. I didn’t see the food, but the water was in a trough outside the brooder where the chicks reach their heads out to get a drink. The ducklings were drinking a lot, and without making a huge mess!

The one drawback I noticed was that the heat plates must not have been warm enough. All the chicks were huddled together underneath them crying. Just like they do if you have a heat lamp that’s not warm enough. The guy did say that they were only put in there within the last hour, so maybe they hadn’t had time to acclimate yet. But to me it says that the brooder isn’t warm enough.

The guy also said he was waiting to decide whether he likes the new system until he sees whether it stinks more than the troughs they used before. He suspects the poop in the slide out trays will stink really quickly between cleanings.

In my opinion, I won’t be buying any chicks from these bins if they continue to look like these ones did this morning. Chicks are stressed enough as it is from the shipping. If they remain stressed in the store, then I don’t think they will do very well in their new homes. To be fair, I did get there within the first hour of them having a new system. Next time I go buy feed, I’ll see if they have got it working better.

Oh! And I was really impressed that the signs said “Easter Egger” instead of “Americana” !! They finally figured that one out! Way to go Tractor Supply!

Here's your picture. Love them, and want to know where I can get them too 😅

Attachments

• 20210218_140431.jpg
    20210218_140431.jpg
    460.1 KB · Views: 256
Haven't been to TSC in quite a while but I saw what looked like these at our feed store the other day. I didn't like them. Theirs were also huddled and it made them hard to see. But I don't like chicks on wire. Coated or not.
I liked the stock tanks better but ours were always clean.

I just left my tractor supply they have the big clear brooders and general consensus of the employees are they absolutely hate it. The warmers are to high no way to lower them. They said they came in this morning half the chick's had died during the night. I saw some bantams that were so packed in together trying to stay warm the middle one will probably suffocate. They also said getting them clean is a pain. They called corporate to get them removed and go back to the simple metal bins.

good news! My local tractor supply has dispensed with those new brooders with the cold screaming chicks! They are back to using the tub‘s and heat lamps and the chicks look healthy.

*****Edited to add:
In my local TSC store, the new stacked style brooders were too close to the entrance. The store temperature was quite cold, as it should be due to all the feed sacks.
I’m guessing IF the brooders were in a designated area towards the back of the store, surrounded by 6 foot baffle walls, or stacks of merchandise, THEN the drafts from the front door opening all the time would be blocked and the chicks would be displaying less chill stress.

But then the chicks wouldn’t be by the cash registers to get customers attention. What we appear to have here is marketing at the expense of animal care. Just my observation.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom