What do you think the quality of life is????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dandydoodle, Dec 15, 2011.

1. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    I just figured out my little 4 month old roo has really poor vision. I don't think he is totally blind but, I think pretty darn close. He is able to find food and water. He doesn't really seem to hang out with the other birds much. What do you think the quality of life is for him. Do you think his life is worth living? I am not trying to be mean, I just really feel bad for him and want honest answers. Be nice though. [​IMG]

2. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    no one?

3. spacecowgirl

spacecowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    I read a post by someone on here awhile back who said they had a blind chicken. The thread was about a chicken's sense of smell, I think...

Anyway, they said their chicken was just fine, and could find food and water with no problem, even if it (the food) got moved around. So if I were you I wouldn't worry too much, just keep an eye (no pun intended)[​IMG] on him. Good luck!

4. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    As long as he can get to the food and water - and as long as he doesn't seem distressed, it's up to what you want to do. Does he crow? Does he mate any of the hens? Many people would cull immediately. Others wouldn't. There are arguments both ways.

5. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

If he's not being picked on, and is eating and drinking and able to get up in and out of the coop and is otherwise healthy... If he isn't not free ranging, then, I think he'd probably be just fine. SO, in otherwords, I'd just let him be. Or, give it another 2 months fatten him up more and send him to freezer camp.

6. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    He is only four months. He hasn't started crowing or started mating yet. Honestly I am not sure he will, I don't think he would be very successful if he tried. I know he can live just fine, he knows where the food and water is. I guess what I am trying to say is how happy do you think a chicken like this can be. Do you think there is any happiness to his life or is it just one big struggle. I don't like the thought of him suffering.

7. GhostRider65

GhostRider65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    NE Wisconsin
    If he's not in pain he is not suffering......... his life will be fine as long as he is allowed to be a chicken by you and the other chickens, if he isn't being pecked on or bullied he is happy as can be to just be a half blind chicken doing what chickens do eat scratch and poop..........

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    His quality of life is best defined by you. Watch how he carries himself and the things that he does. If he appears content, then all is well. If he is continuously fearful or picked upon - poor quality of life.

9. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

What ghostrider and sourland said...

10. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    I had put him in with gentle chickens before I even realized he has a vision impairment. I always knew he was different I just didn't know what it was. I thought he would be safer with smaller, milder tempered birds. That has worked out so far. No one picks on him. I guess he is as happy as he can be. I think I will try to hold him more and give him more attention since he doesn't exactly have bonds with the other chickens cause, of his condition.

Thanks for the opinions

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by