What do you use for a Duckling waterer?

donnavee

Crowing
13 Years
May 7, 2009
Hillsborough NC
I'm getting 8 baby ducklings on Friday and since I'm a newbie at raising them, I'm not sure what to use for their drinking waterer. I have the red plastic bases that attach to quart jars for chickens but since I read they need to be able to clean out their sinuses, I'm wondering if they will be deep enough? I do have a larger gallon waterer that has a deeper bowl, but it takes up a lot more space in the brooder.

Thanks

You can pretty much do anything that holds water. It should be deep enough for their beaks to go ALL the way in, so they can clean ther nostrils. I used a non slip dog bowl, that was pretty deep, but they never got in it, and it worked perfectly. I also used the Metzer farms waterer. Now I use this waterer from Walmart, the one meant for dogs, but it hold like 1-2 gallons (It's an automatic waterer). It helps, so I don't have to ALWAYS refill it. They need whatever you have that is deeper, even if it takes more space, unless you give them a bath about 6 or 7 times a day (It gets tiring!
tongue.png
)

Good luck
wink.png

Edited for grammar!
smile.png

Last edited:
I use a water & feeder from pet supply store. The water one I use has red base & white part holds water/gallon. Best to get the large(gallon) they grow so FAST & small don't last very long. (I have 2 sizes, bigger is better) The feeder trays with the holes in them/plastic or metal work good for the food. Good luck, ~Julie~

Quote:
With 8 ducklings you will need at lease the gallon size. They grow soooooo fast, its crazy.
jumpy.gif
I hatched my duckling March 10th & I'm on brooder #2 & I need a bigger one ASAP because my little baby isn't so little anymore & I hate to see something caged up with very little moving room. ~ Bottom line... they grow fast. lol Good luck, ~Julie~

I always use the quart jar with the red (or white) base that fits. Raise over 100 abandoned ducklings every year and never a problem. When you feel they have outgrown the small base, use the regular chicken waterers but put large marbles in the tray so they can dip their bills in between the marbles but not actually use it to bath in. Here is a photo of one with a white base.
336_dscn0673.jpg

Thanks to all, and I love the pics. I'm going to go with the larger waterer and I'm starting to chew my finger nails.....
tongue.png
Feeling very nervous - hope they arrive safely and we can take good care of them.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom