What do you use for a dust bath?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by branston, Dec 17, 2011.

1. branston

branston Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Virginia
    I've tried everything.......they don't like sand (fine play sand), they don't like sand mixed with top soil or top soil on it's own. However, whenever I refill the oyster shell dish they all fight to sit in it and have a dust??? I was thinking of trying the Arm & Hammer Unscented kitty litter.....anyone tried this?

2. cmclean

cmclean Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2011
    Pasadena,TX
    My chickens found their own dusting spot. They started getting into a pot plant container. It was full of dirt, no plant at that time. They were so young that 3 could fit into the pot at the same time! So cute! Now that they are older and much fatter, they still chose that pot to dust in. I filled a cat litter box with potting soil/sand mix and put it beside the favored pot. Now there is always a bird in one or the other!! Mind you, they have the entire yard to dust in. This was just their favored spot from the beginning.

3. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Mine use the "garden box" in the front of my house. They also dug out a spot under some dead azalea bushes where the ground is super hard and dry. There are leaves there and they're lazy, though, so they moved to the garden box. Whatever floats their boat...

4. Rosaleen

Rosaleen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Danville, Vermont
    My girls dusted in the soil in the yard so now that winter is here, I dug up some of the soil, mixed it with sand, DE, and wood ash and put it all in two large bins that fit perfectly in the bottom of a recycled wall-unit I use in their run...you can see a pic on my page. The bins are pretty well sheltered so there isn't too much waste. Also stays nice and dry and the girls constantly use them.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  5. SueBaby

SueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    Quote:X2

[​IMG]

I'd recommend potting soil. The have a lot of space toward the back of my yard where it wouldn't matter how much they dug up the soil, but they either choose some pots with potting soil in them or spots near the house that are well watered and have soft dirt. My husband has big plans to try to make some "soft" spots in the back so that they will dust there, but I don't know if they'll go for it. What's the old saying "You can lead a chicken to potting soil, but you can't make her dust"???? [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. PAJerry

PAJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Waterford, PA
    I use wood ashes from the stove. Be sure to let them cool for a day or two. The chickens love them and I have read that it kills lice and other pests that can bother them.

7. terryg

terryg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2007
    New England
    In the winter when the ground is frozen/wet/cold/snow (what a mess!) I use a kitty litter box that is filled with sand, some fireplace ashes and a cup of food-grade DE (diatomaceous earth). It keeps their feathers in fine form and the lice at bay. You can see this bin and the girls using it on my live cam at www.HenCam.com. (You'll also see a rabbit in the box. Candy lives with the hens, and likes to sit in the litter box, but, no, she doesn't pee there.)

8. Zigmont

Zigmont Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2011
    Mine love the corners of the horse stalls, where the shavings are deep and dense

9. WestfarthingHomestead

WestfarthingHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Alaska
    Cute, picture, Suebaby! The other chickens are like, 'Hey! It's my turn! You've been in there an hour, geez!"
    [​IMG]

10. SueBaby

SueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    Quote:Exactly! If she wasn't one of the alpha hens I'm sure the others would have just gotten in there with her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by