What do you use for chilling?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by RoosterGeek, Sep 15, 2010.

1. RoosterGeek

RoosterGeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2010
    Lebanon, TN
    I have a smaller refrigerator and little to no room for resting/chilling my birds post butcher.

I've thought of using food grade plastic barrels with water and ice for my birds (25), but they are hard to come by in my area. My second thought was to either use giant ziplock bags, or food grade barrel plastic liners. Another idea was to split the freezer camp up and use a giant cooler.

What do you use? Any ideas?

Sorry about the back to back posts. I thought they should be separate due to different topics. Gotta learn somehow! [​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    We use Coleman type coolers (plastic.) I have often read of people doing this on here. Just wash it with soapy water and rinse well first, then lots of ice.

3. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Grey plastic Rubbermaid trash barrels from Lowe's are food grade, and work well with ice water. I made an insulated chill tank with a wood frame, but a good, easy solution would be to find a cheap, even broken chest freezer, seal the fan vent opening, install a drain and fill with ice water. It's big and well insulated. I wish I would have thought of it before I built my chill tank.

4. sovia

sovia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Black Hills of SD
    I second the Rubbermaid trash container. We bought a new one from Sam's Club. Cleaned it thoroughly (just in case) and then filled it with ice, water and salt. I really think the salt helped, by the way.

5. cjdmashley

cjdmashley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Vermont
    we use a cooler with frozen gallon jugs, I also add a little cider vineger to keep the water from getting yuckie overnight, big bags for the chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by