What do you use for duck bedding?

Tried pea gravel. Made a bigger mess than I could possibly have imagined. We use straw year round. Adding as necessary and then a couple times a year removing to the compost pile. It does get a little stinky but not awful. We do not allow them food or water while they are in the pen though (tried that for 2 years and it just was too big of a mess all the time...and then they froze the door closed in the winter and we couldn't get in to give them fresh food and water...many hours dumping warm water to get the bugger open!) They are out in the morning to the yard (couple acres available to them) and go back in at dusk. Have food and water the whole time they are out. It has made an enormous difference in the time spent on cleaning, and they still seem happy and they lay well. We've been doing this for about a year I think.

Well I will probably have to provide them food and water inside the coop. I won't be able to let them out every day, but I am going to do a no mess water'er and I've designed my own food carrier that should work well.

I was worried about the smell mainly. My chickens never smell, unless it rains. The ducks will have a roof over their pen so it shouldn't get wet.

I'm hoping that will take down the smell

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with horse bedding. Right now I am using wood chips (our friend has a tree service so I get them for free) but when there are leaves mixed it is a huge pain in the butt. The leaves are always wet and get very heavy and gross. I bought a bag of sawdust pellets and I'm not sure exactly how to use them. The run for my two ducks is 4x8 and it isn't roofed (their pen that is attached in). I spread the pellets all over and just put more leaves on top but I'm not sure that solved my problem lol. does anyone put straw over their pellets? If so how frequently would I have to change the straw? I am nervous about me not seeing any mold while it is there. Winter is on its way here so I have pieces of plywood and a tarp to keep the elements out of their run. I am very jealous of those of you who have barns! Any input would seriously help. Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom