What do you use for light- no electricity in coop

If you know someone that does electronics or if you know how to solder, I made a circuit board that turns on an LED strip and slowly dims it until it turns off. Takes about 45 mins. If you have a timer, you can set it to turn on 30min before they should be inside and turn the timer off just after they are supposed to be in. then it starts to dim. Very simple to Make.

Left is plain Jane and the right has a "kill switch".
ScreenHunter 471 2020-10-26 18.06.png

Last edited:
I use a heat lamp cover and just put in a 100 watt lightbulb in it and run an extension cord to the barn. I plug it in in the barn when I need to. Sometimes I use a headlamp.

If you know someone that does electronics or if you know how to solder, I made a circuit board that turns on an LED strip and slowly dims it until it turns off. Takes about 45 mins. If you have a timer, you can set it to turn on 30min before they should be inside and turn the timer off just after they are supposed to be in. then it starts to dim. Very simple to Make.

Left is plain Jane and the right has a "kill switch".
View attachment 2388758
I wish I had half a clue how to do this! This would be perfect for me, my new littles are having a hard time learning to go in before dark because the coop is so dark inside. But I don't want a light that just turns off instantly, I'd like it to slowly get dark so they can eat a bite & then get settled. I wish I could buy something like this - nice job.

I wish I had half a clue how to do this! This would be perfect for me, my new littles are having a hard time learning to go in before dark because the coop is so dark inside. But I don't want a light that just turns off instantly, I'd like it to slowly get dark so they can eat a bite & then get settled. I wish I could buy something like this - nice job.

Thank you very much. Tho I have to give credit where credit is due. This video is where I got the base circuit from and modified it to a simpler set time. The guy explains how to calculate everything and his has a dimmer within the dimmer. However I just went with a basic calculate so it goes for about 45 min to an hour.

There is not much I can do to actually physically help you make this but I can try and provide as much information as possible, so that maybe you can get someone to make it for you. Here is a link to where I will post all the information on this, that I have. You might want to call around to hobby shops or electronics stores that sell parts. You might get lucky and find someone willing to put it together for you.

I will also be looking into getting some boards made for the Chicken Lovers Community. I will post plans to google drive if I finally get it done.

LED Dimmer Page 1.png
LED Dimmer Page 2.png
LED Dimmer Page 3.png

Last edited:
Thank you very much. Tho I have to give credit where credit is due. This video is where I got the base circuit from and modified it to a simpler set time. The guy explains how to calculate everything and his has a dimmer within the dimmer. However I just went with a basic calculate so it goes for about 45 min to an hour.

There is not much I can do to actually physically help you make this but I can try and provide as much information as possible, so that maybe you can get someone to make it for you. Here is a link to where I will post all the information on this, that I have. You might want to call around to hobby shops or electronics stores that sell parts. You might get lucky and find someone willing to put it together for you.

I will also be looking into getting some boards made for the Chicken Lovers Community. I will post plans to google drive if I finally get it done.

View attachment 2391350 View attachment 2391351 View attachment 2391352
Thank you, that's so kind of you to share! I do have a couple nephews that are engineers & build stuff like this all the time, I'm sure they could knock this out for me easily. Again, thanks!

If you have one light in there you could buy an adapter with a plug that screws into the fixture and then the light Bulb screws into that and run an extension cord with another light from that one into the coop. I am trying a FlyHoom solar light for my little coop right now to encourage my young birds to go in at night. It has a remote and is working pretty well so far.

I tried searching for the exact model, but can't find it online. We bought solar powered outdoor garage lights for our coop at Home Depot - a pack of 2 for like $15. They go on at dark and have an on/off switch. We have one positioned in a window of the coop, above their roost, that provides some light at dusk for them. We also have one positioned at the run door and outside the main coop door for our benefit since there's no ambient light in the yard and a bit too far for our flood lights to reach. I switch the light off that shines into their coop when we shut them in at night, shortly after sun down.

Funny, I am looking at the same issue. Have a converted 8x8 shed as the coop, inside a fenced 21x21 run with a 7 ft high fence and I am in the midst of completing the peaked metal roof over the whole thing. The one thing I hadn't considered with this DIY redneck construction project (almost all wood is cut from my trees with chainsaw and milled freehand, a project in itself that leaves things all out of square) is that with the metal roof and the super low angle of the sun from now until the end of February the inside of the coop is dark, even in the middle of clear blue sky day. So I've been looking at solar lights to put just inside and outside the coop for when I'm out there tending with the ladies or just hanging out. The Amazon searches with the bad reviews have been disheartening...

Back
Top Bottom