What do you use for nesting box materials?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hiddenacres, Aug 10, 2013.

1. hiddenacres

hiddenacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    New Milford, Pa
    What kind of nesting box materials do you use I want to see how many different materials are used I will start I use straw.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I like grass hay. It smells good and forms a soft well cushioned nest.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I like shavings in mine.

4. hiddenacres

hiddenacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    New Milford, Pa
    Ok cool ideas I am trying to find many ideas for my new nesting boxes [​IMG]

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I use whatever I have. It's usually pine shavings or grass hay.

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    I usually use straw as the base with pine shavings on top.

7. hensRfun

hensRfun Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2012
    Washington State
    I use pine shavings. I had used straw for a couple of years, but I found the straw took a long time to compose when I clean out the coop. With all the scratching the hens do, I find the pine shavings break up into smaller bits that make better compost.

8. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    We use straw in the nest boxes and shavings on the floor. I'd love to use grass hay, but it was over $9 a bale here in Ohio last year... expensive for nesting material.

I find that straw keeps the eggs cleaner than shavings, in my boxes at least--and fewer hens lay on the floor since the nest materials are different than the bedding and there's less confusion. Of course, some of my girls always lay on the floor no matter what.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  9. khannalucas

khannalucas Out Of The Brooder

We are new to the backyard chicken experience. Our dozen chickens are almost 3 months old. Their night time coop is contained inside a fenced in area, about 3 ft off the ground. There is one roosting post, and four nesting boxes inside. Chickens can also get on top of the inside nesting boxes to roost. The night time coop has a rope light that comes on at dusk, and goes off an hour later. There is about 3 ft of space on top of the night time coop where the chickens go sometimes. We have been using the bale size pine shavings from TSC since they came to us at 1 day old, and change it all every week, inside the coop and on the floor of the coop. For the last week, they all have been spending the night on top of the coop, that is inside the fenced area. Is it the shavings? Could there be mites? The inside has only 3 days of use inside, so isn't very dirty. There was another light inside, but after the first day of sleeping on top, the bulb light was changed to a rope light that takes NO space away at all. Do we have a problem with the chickens on top or there something we need to do differently?

10. LAYINGCHICKENZ4

LAYINGCHICKENZ4 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2013
    Hay, straw or Woodchips all work well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by