What do you use for quail nesting boxes??

Here is my nesting box that my female doesn't ever use ...
roll.png
It's just a simple small card board box w/ a hole cut in the side of it. It's very easy to make.
47807_dsc_1393.jpg

I use "Pigloos" (plastic rodent igloos) in my cages and "A frames" (2 pieces of wood nailed together at 90 degree angle with a 3rd piece on one end and set to look like a tent) in the run. The quail seem to like both but I have some females in my cages that will lay eggs in a corner rather than go in the pigloo.

MsFluffy, we had a box made of wood quite similar to yours, and none of our hens used it either. I don't like my eggs scattered out everywhere, getting stepped on, and knocked around, so I just got me a cardboard coke flat, put shavings in it, and stuck in a corner of the cage. They love it, and lay all their eggs in it.
big_smile.png
I get the local stores to save the flats for me, and always have a bunch stacked up. I change them out every few days or so, depending on the shape they're in. Very easy maintenance.

My coturnix don't care for nestboxes or enclosures at all, but for my buttons I use an upended 1 litre plastic yogurt container (Sorry me no do non metric measurements. A family sized pack not a single serve punnet. It has sort of a tapering shape with a square top and bottom) with panels cut out of two adjacent sides that she can go in and out of. They sit with their heads facing the windows and their butts to the solid walls. They love them and they are easy to clean or just chuck out.

Back
Top Bottom