What do you use to cover your run in the winter to prevent mud mess?

new chick chick

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 23, 2011
It has been raining like crazy in Kentucky and my coop run has become a muddy mess. What materials do you use to prevent this? Straw? Mulch?

Thanks!

I've never had much luck with either but the mulch worked better. If its pouring then I just tarp the pens.

I use a couple of inches of sand in the run, rain drains through it. When changed out for fresh sand it makes a wonderful addition to the garden soil. Roll plastic did not work too well for the amount of rain we get. It pooled on top with way too much weight, after poking holes in the plastic I had to dig trenches in the run to drain the steady cascade of drips. It looked like the chickens were jumping hurdles when they came running for treats. My run's roof has evolved into a whatcha-got affair. Metal roofing and clear rigid plastic roofing over hardware cloth, tar papered plywood covered with metal roofing. To complete the look, the metal roofing is a multitude of colors, the chickens have yet to complain.
big_smile.png
Their feet and eggs are much, much cleaner for keeping the run drier.

My run is about 50'x50' and is covered with fallen oak leaves right now. Actually, my whole yard is. I leave most of them until spring, because we get A LOT of rain, and it helps to keep the dogs from getting muddy, as well. Also, the earthworms hide under them and makes for happy chickens.

Quote:
I may try that. We have a ton of maple leaves that I could throw in there. How many inches deep are your leaves?

I also like the sand idea....but that seems like a lot of back breaking work for me, since I'm the only one doing all the chicken work!

I'm fed up with the mud in my coop, too. The chickens get all dirty and this makes me crazy!
barnie.gif
Plus, when it dries a little into muck it smells bad and is just all around unpleasant.

I've heard of putting down gravel and then sand on top, which is probably what I'll be doing once I get my December paycheck, depending on how much it'll be. Crusher dust supposedly is good, too, or decomposed granite. I've generally heard that you have to put down at least a few inches for it to be effective, so I'm going to go with 4-6" deep I think. I'm hoping that'll be enough to do the trick.

I want my coop to be one where I can go out even in the cold and rain and not feel like it's unpleasant to be out there. Currently, it just gets icky and drives me crazy. I've had enough!

The leaf suggestion is a good one and it works, but it doesn't work for as long as I'd like.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom