What do you use to tell your chickens apart?

I don't need anything to tell mine apart. The rest of my family just calls them "the yellow ones" or "the fluffy one" haha! I'm able to tell mine apart by comb size, personality, and usually some kind of difference in there feather pattern. Oddly, if you spend enough time with them you'll eventually start to see a difference. :D
I have no experience with leg bands though.
Mine are still young so their combs all look the same. I am attempting to tell by feathers but sometimes that is hard. I have 3 that look different so they are obvious and my 6 rockers pretty much look the same. They are hard to tell apart.

My original flock of girls I know them all just by sight. Got a whole lot more chickens and with the newer ones, can't tell one Delaware from another and the black Ameraucana looks really close to that black EE pullet. It's definitely a side effect of chicken math. 😂
I bet! I'm wondering how long it will be until I get there. I have 12 now, but I always want more. Don't think I'll go more than 20.

Of course, I once said I'd not go above 4, so...
😂

Mine are still young so their combs all look the same. I am attempting to tell by feathers but sometimes that is hard. I have 3 that look different so they are obvious and my 6 rockers pretty much look the same. They are hard to tell apart.
It can definitely be difficult when they're young. I can never tell young chicks apart, young pullets and cockerels can be difficult as well.

I could tell all my chicks apart by head markings or beak stripes when they were little. Now they are pretty much distinguishable except the 3 Australorps! The rest have different patterns, leg feathering, orange/gold shade on my GLW, etc. I have at max 3 of a breed so lots of variety makes it easier to tell them apart. The Australorp used to have 1 black beak, one peach beak, and one beak with a small black mark. Somehow they all ended up with black beaks so I have no idea who is who 😂.

Back
Top Bottom