What do you use to tell your chickens apart?

Pics
I was using the little spiral ones, but as they grow, I’ve had to remove two.
Most of my flock is completely different. BUT, I have two lavender orps that look exactly alike. I think one is more social to people, but I can’t be sure. They might be taking turns.
Also, I have two EEs that are starting to look very similar.
So, are these big enough or will they eventually outgrow these as well? I thought the spirals would stretch with them, but that has t been the case.
If you think they are getting tight, definitely remove them. The snap-on ones come in 3 sizes, I don’t know if the spirals do. Zip ties can be any size. Whatever you use, you have to keep on eye on them.

I don't need anything to tell mine apart. The rest of my family just calls them "the yellow ones" or "the fluffy one" haha! I'm able to tell mine apart by comb size, personality, and usually some kind of difference in there feather pattern. Oddly, if you spend enough time with them you'll eventually start to see a difference. :D
I have no experience with leg bands though.
Same.

Last edited:
Are there any colors they are more attracted too? I want to make sure I dont use any colors they would be more prone to pecking.
They might go after red, orange, or yellow.

If you put the most attractive colors (like red) on the most dominant of the chicks, you probably won't have trouble, because the dominant chick won't stand for being picked on, no matter what color leg band it has.

I can tell mine apart because no two look alike lol I do have two speckled sussex but one has more mottling then the other
20211122_110702.jpg

Back
Top Bottom