1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

What do you worm your chickens with?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fushalilly, May 6, 2008.

1. fushalilly

fushalilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    Rhode Island
    I need to worm my 3 black stars

(they may or may not have worms)

and I have never done it. They are 10wks old. What do you use and where can I get it and how do you use it?

Thanks.

Also, is it safe to use even if they may not have worms?

2. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    I haven't had to worm mine yet, but there are all natural methods which includes pumpkin seeds and buttermilk ( please double check on that ), if you prefer something easier, I heard some folks use something called "Rooster booster".

3. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    I have never had to worm mine and In my opinion unless you see signs of worms I would not worm them. Put some DE in their food to prevent infestation.

4. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Personally, I worm every 6 months or so. Alwways have on all my pets as I used to teach a zoonosis class and with my kids around, Id rather overdo it. I have never had any bad side affects. I use Ivomec injectable (from worm, Im a CVT) and then I switch it up with meds that I get from the feed store and add that to the water. I use DE, but I dont know if I trust it to take care of a large number of internal or external parasites. Although, some swear by this.

Some people chose not to worm on a schedule, I prefer to though, just how I like to do it.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by