What Do Your Buff Orp Crosses Look Like? Trying to Figure Out My Chick's Mom

Danniro

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 3, 2014
I already have posted about this in 2 other sections so I'm hoping maybe by asking people what their buff orp crosses look like I can figure out what mine are!
So do you have buff orp crosses? What are they mixed with besides orp?
Here are my two buff mixes, their dad was for sure a buff orp. The light one's mom was probably americauna by her cheeks.

The person who sold them didn't have any ideas about the darker one, though I'm starting to think... Jersey Giant mommy?
Here are the possible moms:
White Rock
Danish Brown Leghorn
New Hampshire Red
Jersey Giant
Black Copper Maran
Barred Rock
Americauna

I'm guessing that the darker chick has a Barred Rock mother, but honestly I think any of the black colored chickens could have been the mother (I don't know much about genetics though). Here's a thread I found on Buff Orp and BR crosses: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/229407/buff-orpington-x-barred-rock-results-pics/10- (on page 2 there is a chick that looks very similar to yours).
Also, what kind of comb does she have? I would also be interested in seeing some picture of her recently. :)

Most of mine that started yellow ended up a lighter color or white with some other color mixed in in some way..Yours looks like its getting some black on it.or grey.My lavender Orp mixed onto my BO was partridge tan- buff with fine black edgings ..
Yes Does it have leg feathers?
You might be able to bar a few choices out that do...like cochins..and yes the comb later. Look like it will be pretty though.!Good luck!!..
Does look a little barred could be the Barred rock too. that or partridge.

Last edited:
Quote: The mother definitely had lots of black feathers in her, so that rules out the White Rock, Danish Brown Leghorn, and New Hampshire red.
The mother also had non-feathered yellow legs, so that rules out the Black Copper Marans, and assuming your Ameraucana is actually an Easter Egger (they usually are, and it's a certainty if it was misspelled Americauna by the seller), then the Easter Egger would likely be ruled out as well.
If the Barred Rock hen was the mother, based on my experience with cross breeding, I would expect the offspring to be primarily black with some gold feathering in the neck area if it is a hen, and primarily gold with some black feathering in the saddle if it is a rooster. Since that's not what I'm seeing in your bird, it's logical to assume that the Black Jersey Giant is the mother.
I have not personally seen a BO x BJG cross, but I have seen BO x Black Australorp crosses and they look very similar to your bird, except that the legs are dark. It's probable that the feathering of both crosses would be similar in color. Another argument that the BJG is the mother.

The mother definitely had lots of black feathers in her, so that rules out the White Rock, Danish Brown Leghorn, and New Hampshire red.
The mother also had non-feathered yellow legs, so that rules out the Black Copper Marans, and assuming your Ameraucana is actually an Easter Egger (they usually are, and it's a certainty if it was misspelled Americauna by the seller), then the Easter Egger would likely be ruled out as well.
If the Barred Rock hen was the mother, based on my experience with cross breeding, I would expect the offspring to be primarily black with some gold feathering in the neck area if it is a hen, and primarily gold with some black feathering in the saddle if it is a rooster. Since that's not what I'm seeing in your bird, it's logical to assume that the Black Jersey Giant is the mother.
I have not personally seen a BO x BJG cross, but I have seen BO x Black Australorp crosses and they look very similar to your bird, except that the legs are dark. It's probable that the feathering of both crosses would be similar in color. Another argument that the BJG is the mother.
That's what I was thinking! Plus she's noticeably bigger than her half sis.
I've never even seen a JG but I was looking up pictures and it looks like sometimes they can be grey?
At the same time though, some of the lacing/detail stuff on her wings looks similar to the lighter one, so I was thinking maybe she's ameraucana. I heard the mixes can be beardless. But their coloring is so different...

Last edited:
I'm guessing that the darker chick has a Barred Rock mother, but honestly I think any of the black colored chickens could have been the mother (I don't know much about genetics though). Here's a thread I found on Buff Orp and BR crosses: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/229407/buff-orpington-x-barred-rock-results-pics/10- (on page 2 there is a chick that looks very similar to yours).
Also, what kind of comb does she have? I would also be interested in seeing some picture of her recently.
smile.png
She has a single comb. Not sure they will look any different haha, they don't seem to be growing all that fast! other 6 weekers don't have fuzzy heads, that I've seen.
I saw orp/rock crosses at the place I got them and she didn't really look like them though.

Most of mine that started yellow ended up a lighter color or white with some other color mixed in in some way..Yours looks like its getting some black on it.or grey.My lavender Orp mixed onto my BO was partridge tan- buff with fine black edgings ..
Yes Does it have leg feathers?
You might be able to bar a few choices out that do...like cochins..and yes the comb later. Look like it will be pretty though.!Good luck!!..
Does look a little barred could be the Barred rock too. that or partridge.
No leg feathers!

That's what I was thinking! Plus she's noticeably bigger than her half sis.
I've never even seen a JG but I was looking up pictures and it looks like sometimes they can be grey?
At the same time though, some of the lacing/detail stuff on her wings looks similar to the lighter one, so I was thinking maybe she's ameraucana. I heard the mixes can be beardless. But their coloring is so different...

Highly unlikely that the mother is Ameraucana. Americauna crosses (Easter Eggers) typically have pea combs rather than single combs and the legs usually have a geenish tint to them. I think the mother is likely the Jersey Giant (if not, then it's the Barred Rock).

Highly unlikely that the mother is Ameraucana. Americauna crosses (Easter Eggers) typically have pea combs rather than single combs and the legs usually have a geenish tint to them. I think the mother is likely the Jersey Giant (if not, then it's the Barred Rock).
I think the lighter one has a single comb and she's for sure americauna, because she's bearded.
The darker one's legs are pinkish-but you can tell the mother must have had grey/black legs. It's a greyish, pale pink.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom