Buff Orpington Roo Crossed Silver Laced Wyandotte

Browniegrl1978

In the Brooder
May 12, 2022
Hello!! We hatched 23 barnyard mixes 3 wks ago. Our Roo is a Buff Orpington and our hens are Golden Comet, Silver Laced Wyandotte, New Hampshire Red, Buff Orpington, Barred Rock, and Leghorn. I recently heard that sex links are created with a BO Roo and Barred Rock or Silver Laced Wyandotte. We have one hen of each breed and now I'm trying to figure out what I have? I can definitely see barring in some of the chicks wings but I am curious if the sex link information I saw is true? If so does anyone know what mine should look like? Just when I thought I had it figured out, I'm being told different information. All information is greatly appreciated!! Thank you!!

I recently heard that sex links are created with a BO Roo and Barred Rock or Silver Laced Wyandotte. We have one hen of each breed and now I'm trying to figure out what I have? I can definitely see barring in some of the chicks wings but I am curious if the sex link information I saw is true? If so does anyone know what mine should look like?

Yes, you should have some sexlinks.
Predictions for chick colors from each hen:

Sexlinks:
Barred Rock mother produces sex linked chicks. Both genders have a lot of black, and may show various amounts of gold or red. Sons have white barring, daughters do not.

Silver Laced Wyandotte mother. Assuming she has a rose comb, any chicks with rose combs must come from her. Her chicks will be sexlinks too. Sons will have a black-and-white pattern (may show some gold or red in their shoulders as they get older.) Daughters will have a black-and-gold pattern. Some Wyandottes have single combs, or carry the recessive gene for single combs, and if your hen has this gene it will be harder to recognize her chicks (daughters may look like the chicks from the New Hampshire or the Golden Comet, sons may resemble chicks from the White Leghorn although the black will probably be arranged differently.)

Not Sexlinks:
White Leghorn's chicks should be most white, but may have some black patches in places.

Buff Orpington hen produces purebred Buff Orpington chicks, of course.

New Hampshire Red will probably produce chicks that are colored halfway between her color and the Buff Orpington rooster's color. I would expect some black showing in the tail, and some shade of red/gold.

Golden Comet may produce chicks that match the ones from the New Hampshire Red (including black tail), or may produce chicks with white tail & markings like herself. (Reason: Golden Comets are a hybrid.)

4/21/23 woke to a hatchling from probably Buff Roo to my Silver Laced Wyandotte. Yellowish ( a bit ruddy red) with a black spot on the head. Does this mean it's a girl? Lol
I've got 1 more SLW egg and 7 EE eggs. Hoping there's a couple dark hens in there from my Ameracauna roo. Thanks for your response 🐣

And I'm just noticing my 2nd SLO egg
4/21/23 woke to a hatchling from probably Buff Roo to my Silver Laced Wyandotte. Yellowish ( a bit ruddy red) with a black spot on the head. Does this mean it's a girl? Lol
I've got 1 more SLW egg and 7 EE eggs. Hoping there's a couple dark hens in there from my Ameracauna roo. Thanks for your response 🐣
Rocking🥰

That probably means a girl, but it's easier to be sure if you have one of each to compare.

I've seen some "gold" females that were much lighter than I expected, but I've also seen some "silver" males (different cross) that were darker than I would have expected. In each case, it was easy to sort them once I had some of both genders to compare.

I've got 1 more SLW egg and 7 EE eggs. Hoping there's a couple dark hens in there from my Ameracauna roo.
:fl I hope those eggs do hatch into the chicks you want!

Back
Top Bottom