What do your quail nesting boxes look like?

Mine lay on the wire. I did put a small wood nest box in the pen when I got my first quail. A few used the box, but mostly they just laid on the wire. So I took the box out because it was getting dirty from them pooping all over the place.

I put a cat litter pan in their pen for sand baths, but they never laid in the cat litter pan.

Last edited:
I just use an empty tissue box cut a hole in the side cover it with fake plants and fill it with bedding the hens do go in there and lay eggs and they also get away from the roos that way too.
Kathy
edited for picture
44218_adult_quail_s_and_s.jpg

Last edited:
I'm kind of surprised that any quail hens would use a box, I thought they wouldn't so I didn't bother (but we've kept small closed up boxes in there for them to play with, they like jumping up on them), but after reading this I decided to try a tissue box out with my indoor quail pair. I don't have a tissue box of the same size or any foliage, so i used a longer box and both the hen and roo loved the box, and since it has an edge to it, the bedding doesn't end up everywhere (at least not immediately). An egg that was in the cage is now residing in the box, I want to see if she will start to lay in there (and if it will be cleaner, though that's doubtful). Interesting that the hen kicked the egg out of her way, but earlier the roo was gently handling the egg, moving it by cradling it under his neck. anyone ever seen that before?

Kathy, those sure are pretty quail, what variety are they? I'm still learning!

Laura

I have a milk jug with dirt in it for a dust bath (I cut a circular opening in the side, that way they don't kick all the dirt out within the first 5 seconds). My coturnix will lay in this sometimes, and sometimes, they just lay on the wire bottom of the pen.

Back
Top Bottom