What do Yours Eat?

I really like this post. I am still learning what to feed my chickens besides feed. So far I have fed them certain weeds like Clover, wide leaf plantain, tuna, turkey, blueberries, rice, and worms, and I have oatmeal that I heard they will like so I will do that soon. I understand that as long as the food isn't preserved or has lots of seasoning they can eat it. I have learned what they can't eat so I think I am doing alright. If you have any ideas please let me know.
Dont over do treats is always the idea i have to remember. May your flock thrive always!

The only thing my chickens consistently love to eat, other than feed crumbles and grass and the occasional flies they snatch out of the air, is hard-boiled egg. I crumble it up so that they don't realize it's an egg and they absolutely love it!

Everything else I've offered they either don't like or they lose interest quick. Dried mealworms, lettuce, celery, meat trimmings, fish carcasses... not interested!

I'll make them a frozen block of spinach or maybe a frozen watermelon. Perhaps they'll like those things.

Millet was suggested to me for our pullets. I hung some sprays in their run and not one of the girls has touched it. :rolleyes:

They've had some watermelon, basil leaves, and spring mix lettuce.

I'm hearing about moderation with treats. How does this apply with those using a fodder system -- they have a mat of greens to offer every day?

I only have pullets and hoping to have them all laying eggs. They are on a 20% protein feed and will get calcium supp. once they're laying. Would a fodder system work or is that too much "treat"?

Was considering this for the seed for the fodder.

I usually just cut the pumpkins up into pieces and let them figure it out. They go crazy for the seeds and guts of the pumpkin. I don’t give them bananas too often but when I do I just through the peeled banana on the ground.

The only problem I have is they except something every time I see them. I try to limit their treats but for some reason they follow me all over expecting something. They often follow me into the shop. I don’t mind their company but they crap all over. They know where the meal worm bag is on the shelf because I can see all of them eyeballing it.

Attachments

• 748327B9-CD09-4A62-AEEB-8517AD1BAE62.jpeg
    748327B9-CD09-4A62-AEEB-8517AD1BAE62.jpeg
    574 KB · Views: 3
  • 14AD18D8-EC0E-4E54-9C02-A4320521570C.jpeg
    14AD18D8-EC0E-4E54-9C02-A4320521570C.jpeg
    491.3 KB · Views: 3
The only thing my chickens consistently love to eat, other than feed crumbles and grass and the occasional flies they snatch out of the air, is hard-boiled egg. I crumble it up so that they don't realize it's an egg and they absolutely love it!

Everything else I've offered they either don't like or they lose interest quick. Dried mealworms, lettuce, celery, meat trimmings, fish carcasses... not interested!

I'll make them a frozen block of spinach or maybe a frozen watermelon. Perhaps they'll like those things.
I have been bringing them a block of ice on really hot days and was thinking about adding something to it. Normally, I just cook the veggies along with the meat before I serve them. I never thought of giving them the veggies right out of the freezer. I will try that.

I feed mine fermented mash, and a free feed of Manna Pro. They are just moving from the Starter Grower to Layer pellets this coming week. We will see what the ladies think about that. They love tomato pieces. I give the them cores and pieces that have those cracks when I cut up tomatoes. I just opened a tomato and found a bunch of tiny sugar ants setting up shop in where there was a tiny crack - I washed all the ants down the drain and cut bits for the chickens.

They also like bits of cherry. Wild birds got all my strawberries this spring and my blueberries, too. I need to spread some bird nets to save some for my family and the ladies. They seem to like all the herbs I offer them as well: basil, African blue basil, Thai basil, oregano, Greek oregano, lemon thyme, sage, rosemary and something called basil thyme.

I started growing Malabar spinach to take the place of my spinach and lettuce in the hot weather. They seem to like that too. Grows really well as a vine once it gets going. I give them spinach and kale when I can and they eat that up. I haven't tried broccoli. Will try it. They LOVE leftover corn on the cob (when eaten with out butter or salt). There are always bits of kernels left that they love to pick over. They start crooning when they see it. I also give them the husks but they are not so wild about that.

I also give them dandelion, artemisia, chickweed, clover, and grass bits, petals from bachelor buttons, dandelions and marigolds. They mealworms and darkling beetles once a week (which they adore) or sometimes a red wiggler from my compost bin. To my knowledge, they have not caught a mouse yet, but I am rooting for them. They are not quite old enough (and my garden is not quite finished enough or enclosed enough) to forage. But I know they want to come out and look for themselves.

I have been bringing them a block of ice on really hot days and was thinking about adding something to it. Normally, I just cook the veggies along with the meat before I serve them. I never thought of giving them the veggies right out of the freezer. I will try that.
I put veggies in the ice cube trays. Anything from lettuce, blueberries, or greens are all safe treats for my flock when weather is hot. I do wonder if pecking at the ice could cause a beak to crack?? 🐓❤️

Back
Top Bottom