What does a bunny nest look like?

Wolf-Kim

Songster
11 Years
12 Years
Jan 25, 2008
lol.png

We gave that young doe a nest box and a bunch of hay. She's been playing in it and created a bit of a tunnel to the back of the box. No pulled fur yet.

Just a little anxious is all. I'm hoping to find a nest of baby bunnies. She's been playing in the box, but I can't tell if it's just playing or nesting. What should I look for as far as nesting behaviors? I know fur pulling it one, are there any others?

Quote:
Oh alright. Guess I'll have to just be patient.
lol.png

Thanks Steve.

No, unfortunately, this is the doe we are treating as though she "might" be pregnant. When we bought them, she was in a cage with a male the same age. The breeder "guessed" them to be 4-5 months. Well, I was handling her and her mid section was very "firm" compared to my older does who are "squishy". So it made me wonder if she may just be pregnant. So it was suggested I give a nestbox "just" in case and keep an eye on her over the next few weeks.

She hasn't pulled any hair yet, so I'll just keep watch. First bunny litter, you know, a little excited and all.

My other female rabbit is shedding hair like crazy but she still has at least another week before she even gets her nestbox. According to when we bred them, something tells me the breeder didn't exactly keep good records. LOL

Julie's Silkies :

A doe kindles 30 days after bred. How long have you had her ?

Just a couple of weeks. I've got my eyes on the calender as to when she was seperated from the buck and each placed in their individual cages. If she doesn't kindle in the next 2-3 weeks, I'll know she's open.
smile.png

Thanks everyone.​

The gestational period for rabbits are 28 - 31 days with the majority kindling on day 31. Some do go to day 32 or 33 as a rabbit is capable of delaying implantation up to 48 hrs. I have a herd of about 60 rabbits right now and Thanks to my OCD, I keep crazy track of them and their breedings. I hvae 8 litters right now with one due today and then one due Nov 16 and one due Nov 17. Depending on the breed of rabbit.. Keep the babies with mom at least 6 weeks. Some breeds like our polish and netherland dwarfs, we can wean at 4 weeks. Some like the Californians wean at 8 weeks. Most likely, she will not have them until is quiet... like when you are all in bed or gone for a few hours.

31399_dsc02364.jpg

Here's a nest with new Polish babies in. Being's she a new mom... I wouldnt be surprised if she has NO CLUE as to what to do and ends up with babies on the wire (you do have wire floored cages right??) or makes a nest NEXT to the nest box... if that's the case, dont be afraid to get in there and put them where they need to be. Rabbits do not "move" their babies like dogs and cats too... We handle ours as soon as mom is done with their "baths" and first feedings.

We have tons of information on our website if you wanna look...just click the link CHEROKEE FLATS in my sig.... good luck and keep us posted

Back
Top Bottom