What does a chickensitter need to do?

This is what I have my chicken sitter do:
Morning:
Let the chickens into the run
Set ou feeders, refill of needed
Refill waterers if needed.
Do a quick check on how the chickens are doing. (Make sure no signs of illness)
They also like to cuddle the chickens, but that’s not necessary.

Afternoon:
Nothing really necessary, our pet sitter just checks on them, as they are already there during afternoon caring for other pets. Can let them free range (if you feel comfortable with that)

Evening:
Lock the chickens up (usually just includes closing the door, but my chickens won’t go in until dusk, so if they go out early they might need to put them in themselves)
Headcount of chickens
Put the feeders away in rat-proof container.
Collect the eggs
And I think that’s it...

I've had my neighbor chicken-sit once, and I tried to make things as easy as possible for her - open coop in morning, toss down a little feed for breakfast, pick up eggs, close up coop.

Now it's even easier - just pick up eggs. I have an auto door now so the chickens no longer need to be let out/put in. Knowing how long your water and food last means you don't need someone refilling either. Installing a backup waterer and backup feeder is a good extra step to ensure you have enough for the period you're gone.

With rollaway nest boxes you could even skip the picking up of eggs, provided the weather isn't too warm/cold.

I personally wouldn't expect or ask someone to "clean up" - either come up with a poop management program (i.e. deep bedding and deep litter), or be prepared to handle it yourself once you get back.

I personally wouldn't expect or ask someone to "clean up" - either come up with a poop management program (i.e. deep bedding and deep litter), or be prepared to handle it yourself once you get back.

I use poop boards and for weekend getaways I don’t even mention them to whoever is helping. When I was gone for about eight days I asked they scoop poop at least once if at all possible, but if that was too much not to worry about it! They actually did scoop once which was very helpful. The in-laws helped with the long trip. Usually I have to pay my 15-year old neighbor.

I've had my neighbor chicken-sit once, and I tried to make things as easy as possible for her - open coop in morning, toss down a little feed for breakfast, pick up eggs, close up coop.

Now it's even easier - just pick up eggs. I have an auto door now so the chickens no longer need to be let out/put in. Knowing how long your water and food last means you don't need someone refilling either. Installing a backup waterer and backup feeder is a good extra step to ensure you have enough for the period you're gone.

With rollaway nest boxes you could even skip the picking up of eggs, provided the weather isn't too warm/cold.

I don’t want to have to ask anyone to clean up, because really who wants to clean up someone else’s chickens’ poop, so I’ll look more into deep bedding and deep litter.

Back
Top Bottom