What does a chickensitter need to do?

Kaye Pek

Chirping
May 2, 2021
Vancouver, BC, Canada
We'll be getting four started pullets in the next several weeks, all things going to plan. However, one of our considerations is that generally (not now because COVID) we spend a fair number of weekends away in spring and summer; and then COVID or not, during summer we're also gone for a week at a time at least twice to maintain my in-laws' properties out of town. What would we need to do to set up our four ladies in a coop and enclosed run for a weekend or a week? What would a chickensitter need to do?

I have people who are Conveniently Located for sitting, but don't want to approach them just to say "HEY CAN YOU WATCH MY THEORETICAL CHICKENS" and not be able to tell them what that might entail. I also really don't want to put the chooks in a situation where they're not thriving because we're not home.

In addition to everything everyone has already mentioned, I would consider an automatic coop door and a camera (cheap one like Wyze) to ensure 1) in case someone forgets to lock them up, it'll be done and 2)in case they dont' actually come to check on food and water, you can see for yourself what the chickens need.

I don't trust people. I don't even trust my own family. Every time I've left my chooks, something has gone wrong. I've had people bail on me without warning. The list goes on, honestly.

Also for me, even with an enclosed run, my coop is still a more secure than the run. We have bear predators, so even hardware cloth is a deterrent at best, but I realize my situation is likely different from yours, but that is why I mention the automatic doors. I still close my coop even with a run.

You definitely want someone to check on them and gather aids, clean, etc., but have your "just in case" plan ready.

In addition to everything everyone has already mentioned, I would consider an automatic coop door and a camera (cheap one like Wyze) to ensure 1) in case someone forgets to lock them up, it'll be done and 2)in case they dont' actually come to check on food and water, you can see for yourself what the chickens need.

I don't trust people. I don't even trust my own family. Every time I've left my chooks, something has gone wrong. I've had people bail on me without warning. The list goes on, honestly.

Also for me, even with an enclosed run, my coop is still a more secure than the run. We have bear predators, so even hardware cloth is a deterrent at best, but I realize my situation is likely different from yours.

You definitely want someone to check on them and gather aids, clean, etc., but have your "just in case" plan ready.
Thanks for the suggestions, and for making me feel better about not trusting anyone else either. 😅 We don't have bears where we are specifically (drive maybe 20 minutes and it's a different story, one featuring lots of black bears), but we do see the occasional coyote come up from the nearby bog, and definitely have raccoons and Norway rats.

I really appreciate all the responses so far. You've all been super helpful.

IMO, the best way to get a chicken sitter who will be faithful is to make the job as easy as possible and to set up your system in such a way that your chicken sitter never has to interact with the chicken poop at all.

So,

Either outside access to fill feeders and waterers or use large-enough feeders and waterers that they don't have to be refilled until you're back,​
Outside access to the nestbox without having to go into the coop and/or run,​
And a pop door that either can be opened from the outside, an automatic door, or a door that is never closed.​

Not having to be there at the crack of dawn and the last light of dusk also helps you find a chicken-sitter because few people want to get up that early and to commit to being there exactly at nightfall. So, again an automatic door or a secure run with a pop door that is never closed.

Of course part of the chicken-sitter's pay will be all the fresh eggs laid during the duration of the chicken-sitting job. :)

It depends somewhat on your set up. For example, can they access food and water while outdoors in their run? Does the coop have poop boards or is there excess waste that needs to be tidied on a daily or every other day basis?

I often hire a professional pet sitter who feeds and ensures water for our cats and bunny, and also checks on the chickens for me. The pet sitter fills the chickens' water feeder as needed, and removes eggs from the nest boxes (though I have left the eggs in the boxes for up to 4 days without any problem).

The main thing is to check and fill food and water, and just generally check on the health and well-being for the chickens. Report to you if any sign of predators, etc.

I've had my neighbor chicken-sit once, and I tried to make things as easy as possible for her - open coop in morning, toss down a little feed for breakfast, pick up eggs, close up coop.

Now it's even easier - just pick up eggs. I have an auto door now so the chickens no longer need to be let out/put in. Knowing how long your water and food last means you don't need someone refilling either. Installing a backup waterer and backup feeder is a good extra step to ensure you have enough for the period you're gone.

With rollaway nest boxes you could even skip the picking up of eggs, provided the weather isn't too warm/cold.

I personally wouldn't expect or ask someone to "clean up" - either come up with a poop management program (i.e. deep bedding and deep litter), or be prepared to handle it yourself once you get back.

I personally wouldn't expect or ask someone to "clean up" - either come up with a poop management program (i.e. deep bedding and deep litter), or be prepared to handle it yourself once you get back.

I use poop boards and for weekend getaways I don’t even mention them to whoever is helping. When I was gone for about eight days I asked they scoop poop at least once if at all possible, but if that was too much not to worry about it! They actually did scoop once which was very helpful. The in-laws helped with the long trip. Usually I have to pay my 15-year old neighbor.

Back
Top Bottom