What Does A Day 21 Candled Egg Look Like?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by peepinglaura, Mar 13, 2009.

1. peepinglaura

peepinglaura Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    I can't find pics anywhere of a good egg at that stage. My hens' eggs are a day late. I haven't candled cuz I don't have a clue what I'm looking for! The problem is compounded by the fact that the eggs are quite a deep green.

Thanks,

Laura

2. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Really just an air space and a huge black mass in there then. Not a lot of information to be had. With super dark eggs sometimes you can't even see that.

If you can find the air space you can pip the egg yourself and listen. But 21... is not soon enough to worry over much. Low temps for a day or two or just a lazy chick could stretch that out.

Patience. [​IMG]

3. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    Patience

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If it's Day 21, they are not late. And you probably could see nothing if you tried so hang in there awhile longer.

5. kerrywoo

kerrywoo Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2008
    Broken Bow, oklahoma
    okay, i have to ask, what do you mean pip the egg?

6. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    A pip is when the chick has broken through the air cell and poked a tiny hole in the shell. It can take 24 hours from that point. Go shopping!! [​IMG]

7. Chickapooh23

Chickapooh23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    Corning OH
    I wouldn't worry until day 25. It hard too wait but there really isn't any option.

8. peepinglaura

peepinglaura Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Patience... a novel concept! It's not a strength of mine. OK we're at day 22 and the hen is acting strange, so hopefully there's good news brewing, known only to her [​IMG] I hear little sounds, but I can't tell if she's making them or the egg! I think it's her.

I won't candle, if nothing can be seen. Thanks for that knowledge!

Laura

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It would be a dark mass, however, since you should just leave them be from day 18 onwards for the best hatch, there are not likly many pics of day 21. Let them go for a few more days before opening the bator as cool temps could slow them down.

10. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    She is talking back to them, telling them to come out...they are probably peeping at her through the shell...she can hear them! Very good sign![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by