What does a frostbitten comb look like?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Trishkabob, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Trishkabob

Trishkabob Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2010
    Schuylerville, NY
    it is cold here and I just want to make sure I know what to look for just in case. does a comb that has frostbite get black like skin?
    we don't insulate our coop, have 4 hens, 5-10 months old, no molting...all is well so far but as temp.s hit single digits I am checking daily for signs of stress.
    it would be really tough to get hold of one of our girls to do the Vaseline thing-she hates to be picked up. But if we must we must.....thanks.

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    The tips of the combs/wattles will get black. If your unheated coop has good ventilation, you shouldn't have too much worries. We have had -20 C temps here, and no frostbite. The only time I had frostbite was my first year when I stressed about the cold and put in a heat lamp. That year my roo got frostbite. Never since.

3. LivinNewDreamInND

LivinNewDreamInND Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    My Black Star rooster has an enormous single comb and he got frost bite [​IMG] It turned really hard and pale first and then eventually black. I had even treated it with bag balm trying to prevent frost bite. It makes me feel terrible every time I see it. He is the only one of my birds who has gotten it. I hope you are able to avoid it. I am never getting another single comb bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by