What does a grey silkie look like?

Wow, those are gorgeous silkies! Do you strictly keep them as pets, for showing or for laying eggs (when they choose to do so)? I'd like to have a couple of hens but don't know what route I would go with them (ie show or pets).

Merry Christmas everyone!
Such beautiful Silkies!!!!
Here is a pic of a pullet I thought was Grey, Now I'm confused......I have several like this just wondering what the experts say?
If she is not grey what would you call her?
50314_grey_cuss_pullet.jpg

Thanks, Cheryl

Can a gray be created using a black male with silver leakage? I love the gray silkies. Since silver is dominant, if I were to cross this male to a regular partridge, would the female offspring be silver partridge? I looked at the chicken calculator but that was using a silver partridge male. The male I have has lots of leakage in the hackles, and a small amount on the wings, streamers and back - he would not meet the standard, but I love his type and he is the closest to gray that i have.

I know that grays are not supposed to have pencilling - is it a matter of selecting the offspring with the least pencilling and going from there?

Thanks in advance.
smile.png

That would be difficult to answer not knowing the color background of your birds. I myself, would never breed anything that carries red, in an attempt to make a gray. It would not do you much good for future breeding to have silver partridge females and males that carry red if your goal is to make clear grays. You need clear males to make grays with no leakage.
Yes, selective breeding for non-pencilled birds is what you will want to do. It takes many years of selective breeding to get the pencilling out of grays and to get the color to the proper Chinchilla gray. The most successful breeding for grays is gray x gray.

Wow glad to see the grays coming out. But i guess i am a bit confused about the gray and silver penciled difference also. here is a picture of a hen that i always thought was a gray i will try and find a picture of her parents.

61957_2010_gray-blue_silkies_025.jpg

Here is a cockeral that would be related to the pullet above

61957_gratrooforsale2011.jpg

I can not find a picture of the actual parents but the father looked alot like this cockeral which is also and offspring of my rooster and related to the pictures above, the hen pictured above looks just like her mother
61957_grayrooforsale2011_14.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom