What does a Haflinger Horse do when approached by buffalo?

horsejody

Squeaky Wheel
11 Years
Feb 11, 2008
Waterloo, Nebraska
P1010341.jpg

She shares her dinner!!

We just got back from Custer State Park in SD. It was beautiful!

This was the day we had buffalo for breakfast.
P1010286.jpg

Here is some scenery from the trail.
P1010316.jpg

There were 4 buffalos that stayed at or near our camp the whole week. The one learned that Dolli would share her hay, and he ate with her more than once. DH's horse was didn't react much to them either, but the horses and mules in the other pens would freak out. A quiet horse is priceless.

Aren't they impressive close up? They're huge...they kinda scare me!

As a kid, we had a guy that had some on his ranch a few miles down the road, and one got loose and ended up in our backyard. Imagine waking up one morning to find a bison munching out on your gardenia bush 15 ft. away from your back door!
ep.gif

We also saw some three years ago at Yellowstone. They tell you not to try to get close to them because they're so unpredictable, but my best friend's husband (and ex-rodeo cowboy
roll.png
) just had to get close to get his photo taken with one. All the rest of us were hiding behind the trees ready to run! :eek:

Did ya'll happen to go by Wall Drug while in SD? We went there the first trip we made, along with the antique car musem. Both places were kind of neato.

Yes, we did stop at Wall Drug.

I love the buffalo. They are gorgeous. A friend and I at one point had to climb into the horse pens because one wanted to get a bit close to us. We were filling water buckets as he watched 20 feet away. One of our fellow campers was in a horse pen next to us, and he started making grunting noises to the buffalo. Well, that got the buffalo's attention, and he started walking up to us. Of course the latches on the pens were stuck, and we ended up climbing over the panels. I don't think the buffalo had any hostile intentions. He was just curious, but they are too big to play with.

My stepfather just returned from SD. I guess his brother lives out there somewhere. No idea where though. They went to Rushmore the first day. Says it is beautiful country. I am hoping to drive cross country one day in the RV with my family.

I love that your horse is so cool with the buffalo.
Rhett LOVES deer. He has been kinds freaking out cause he can hear and smell them, but I dont think he has seen them much where we are. Our last barn they would come and graze in the field with him.

Last edited:
Now I'm jealous. That corner of SD is one of my favorite places in this country to visit. We camped in Wind Cave and the main herd was just over the hill from us the entire time. All night it sounded like a thousand giants snoring. In Wind Cave, the campgrounds are fenced off so the bison can't get in, but they sure can get close.

We have one horse that lived with Buffalo at his previous home. He could care less about them. However most of ours just have total heart failure. Since we have cutting horses and some have worked them they know how hard they are to work and don't want anything to do with them. My daughter was on a trainer's horse at a show when some came from that arena's pasture up to the warm up pen. The mare freaked out and sunk to the ground crawling like a cat to the other side of the pen. If she hadn't been at a show I am sure my daughter would have tried to get her to work them. LOL She loves a challange.

Back
Top Bottom