What Does A Sneeze Sound Like?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Knucker Hatch Farms, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Knucker Hatch Farms

Knucker Hatch Farms Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Every once and awhile I'll hear something that sounds like the squeak of a mouse in our coop, but I swear it is coming from one of the chickens. I just can't pinpoint the chicken yet.

Is that what a chicken sneeze sound like?

Warm Regards,

Mama Knucker Hatch

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

ACHOO!! [​IMG] Sorry, I just had to do it! Actually...its like...well...a sneeze from a small child. Kinda hard to explain.

3. Knucker Hatch Farms

Nov 29, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I knew I had that one coming to me. [​IMG] Or someone that might say it sounds like I have a mouse in the barn. Which we do.

So it is not a high pitched squeak? More like two syllables? Sheesh do I sound dumb.

Mama Knucker Hatch

4. CuriousChick

CuriousChick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2007
    Kansas City
    I think your chicken has learned a foreign language from the mouse.[​IMG]

5. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    It is kinda squeaky, I don't think it really sounds like a human sneeze. Usually you don't hear mice squeak unless they are being hurt or are unusually frightened. Unless you just have super vocal mice LOL

6. Juliechickens

Juliechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    I can absolutely hear when my chickens sneeze! The first night in turned cold here in Memphis, the next day I heard 2 of them sneezing. It's almost like a hick up sound in our world. Not quite a full sound but you can certainly hear it if you hang out with chickens a lot. I must say also,,it's darn cute! Sometimes they may do it 3 -4 times in a row, kind of like us. Just baby-chickenfied! Is that a word? Of course not, but you know what I mean. They do sneeze. I hope this helps, Julie [​IMG]

7. Knucker Hatch Farms

Nov 29, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Oh great, so now a chicken sneeze sounds like a hiccup? [​IMG] Sheesh.

Thanks guys for your help. I wish I could say I completely understand now what a chicken sneeze sounds like. It's moments like these when I wish there was someone who knew chickens standing beside me in the coop. Clearly a chicken sneeze was never meant to be described...just heard. [​IMG]

Mama Knucker Hatch

8. okto

okto Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2007
    los angeles
    one of my hens is such a hog that she sticks her entire beak, nares and all, into her mash.

i know when she is eating because i hear a loud, "squeak!". i've watched her eat and she's
    filling her nose full of food and then sneezes it out.

9. GoodEgg

GoodEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    I have a couple of chickens that make sounds like squeaky toys. Sometimes when they eat, but sometimes just ... because.

I thought it was a sneeze at first, but I've heard sneezes since then (and they sounded more like sneezes).

I don't know what they SQUEAK is ... sometimes it's one LOUD squeak, and sometimes two-syllables but usually quieter then.

One day I heard a noise like the very first note of a police siren ... kinda shocked me to hear a siren going off while I was in the backyard! They just make all kinds of weird noises?

trish

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by