1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What does Broody mean?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bosque, May 25, 2009.

1. Bosque

Bosque Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Doesnt broody mean that your hens are laying eggs? Isnt that the point? Dont you want your hens or pullets to go broody? Does going brody mean something else?

2. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Broody means a hen wants to sit on some eggs and incubate them.

3. Mourningdove

Mourningdove Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    Broody= a hen wishing to sit on eggs to be a mommy!

4. Bosque

Bosque Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Arizona
    How do you know if they have gone broody? What do they do? Can you put a golf ball in the nest if they want to sit on an egg? If they are sitting on the nest, do they stop producing eggs?

5. Mourningdove

Mourningdove Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    Yes! If they sit on the nest most of the time, they won't lay eggs until their broodiness is broke.

6. ChickenCharmer

ChickenCharmer Chillin' With My Peeps

My hens brood more then you would care to know. A broody hen stays on her nest all day and night, and if you come near she will shriek and scream and growl, and her feathers will all stand up. When she takes a break she will act plenty weird, like holding her wings out, fluffing up until she is barely recognizable as a chicken, and holding her tail up high. She won't poop in the nest, so she just defecates during her breaks. Broodies are famous for their extraordinarily large and smelly poops. Another trait is that they cluck, and that their breasts have been plucked bare.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

Broody means, a hen has a want to sit on eggs and hatch out some chicks.

8. Tecalli

Tecalli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    State College, PA
    Does a rooster need to be present for a hen to go broody? If the egg is not fertilized will she still be broody or do hens get broody only with fertilized eggs?

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Rooster doesn't matter. They can go broody without a roo.

10. Tamidon

Tamidon Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2008
    Massachusetts
    is it important to break them of this? I have a broody hen that the rest seem to be laying eggs around her. How do you break them of the broodiness?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by