What does C-1 Line mean

These days, it probably doesn't mean much in many cases.

If I remember correctly -- Wade Jeane had two breeding pens of black copper marans. Each pen had a different rooster (cock). So he called the lines C1 (Cock 1) and C2 (Cock 2).

I'd have to search back in my email archives to be sure I'm remembering accurately, but I *think* that 's how the story went!

C1 Jeane lines are one of the finest lines of Black Copper Marans Chickens around this part of the country. They are from Wade Jeane and his brother did also have them. They are beautiful birds. I am very fortunate to own the C1 lines myself.

Okay -- I spoke with Wade Jeane, Channing Grisham, AND Charles Logan today at the poultry show in Newnan. Here's the real scoop on the different lines, straight from the horses' mouths.

Wade had different breeding lines of black copper Marans. He called them Coop 1 (C1), Coop 2 (C2), and so on in order to keep them straight. That's all the numbers mean.

In 2007 (I think that's the right year -- maybe 2006?), a tornado went through his area. More than 100 of his birds were lost, and his property was damaged. Almost all of the C2 birds were lost in the storm. He ended up letting Charles Logan take most of the remaining birds, including the C1 birds.

Wade does have a brother. But his brother is named KELVIN, not Kevin as is usually reported. His brother Kelvin has nothing to do with the birds. The breeding has all been done by various combinations of Wade, Channing, and Charles.

And that's the story!

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

thumbsup.gif

Something to bear in mind is that eggs are advertised as C-1, C-2 or whatever, they are only as good as the breeder you're actually buying them from. Anyone can buy eggs from a good breeder, make poor or greedy choices when breeding from those chicks, and ruin a line. It takes a lot less time to ruin a line than it does to improve one.

ETA Just as people throw around 'SQ' to sell eggs, many will tell you they got them from anyone to make a quick buck. Unless you buy them from the original breeder, take any claims with a pinch of salt.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom