what does Egg bound mean?

it relaxes crampy muscles that may be preventing the egg from moving along. Apparently sometimes it does work. Also, I can tell you that Matilda *really* liked it (although it did not in fact fix her eggbound problem)... I think she was in pain and the warm sitzbath made her feel better. Which aside from making it easier for an egg to pass, should count for *something* in and of itself, I think.

Pat

still no egg. she REALLY liked to water when she figured ouyt we weren't trying to drowned her. She pooped just fine this morning. we kept her in all night and did the bath again. I was "helping" her pushe the egg back toward her rear and you could hear her pushing(breathing funny, so I am assuming shes pushin) still no egg, but from what I could feel, the egg is HUGE and it is starting to move back toward her rear end. We put her back in the cage and put a towel over the cage for peace and quite. We'll keep check and I'll try the bath again this afternoon.

Will let you know.....

sbox

M.J.,

unfortunately not really, not 'worked' in the long term
sad.png
After, gee, I don't remember and it would be too depressing to go back and look at the thread to check, maybe 10 days?, I concluded that the egg was just absolutely not going anywhere, and had our small animal vet break the egg inside of her as a last chance option. Apparently she passed it later that day but I never found pieces, she might have eaten them. She felt much better for several weeks, but about, what, maybe 5 or 6 wks after the whole thing began I found her dead one morning.

HOWEVER I have to point out that she was probably beginning to be an internal layer right from when the egg first got stuck if not before (when I was first checking out the eggboundness thing I found those little yellow rubbery blobs that seem to be a sign of internal laying and/or an infected reproductive tract). And it is quite possible that it was infected abdominal yolk matter or something like that, rather than eggboundness, that got her in the end.

So, hopefully this has nothing to do with sbox's hen
wink.png

Sbox, I'm glad to hear that the egg is starting to move, perhaps some more time and baths will help. Good luck,

Pat

Just an update. Bertha is walking now and running with the others. Got rid of the roos because in her condition they wanted "on her" all the time and she just didn't have the strength to run or fight them off.
Took her about two weeks to start getting around like normal again. I don't think shes laid any eggs though, which is ok by me as long as she better. We had some bad wind blew in trash or something a few days before and I think she ate something she shouldn't have. But I really don't have any idea what was really wrong. Couldn't find a vet willing to look at chickens, which is the stupidest thing I have ever heard of.
big_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a chicken that is ill and not sure how to help her..... Egg Bound? or just ill ...she has passed what looks like a cooked yolk .... she has a poopy bum (cleaned her up once and need to do it again)... she has liquid yellow stools and her comb off colored pinkish not red .... any ideas? Help...Thank you

Our 6 month BL does not act Broody. She just has spent about 45 minutes each of the last 5 mornings in the nestbox with nothing to show for it with really loud squawking one of the days. I do think there is something in her abdomen (it is 8:30 PM now). I will see what I can do tomorrow. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom